Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting a column in DDIC table.

karthick1608
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

My requirement is to remove one column(which is a key field) with its data from DDIC table.

If I removed that column from table with data, it will affect all the programs where I used that column.

How to find that where all I used that particular column.

Is there any way to find that?

Please help!

thanks

Karthick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

matt
Active Contributor

The scan function is great, but it's not definitive. It's easy to miss places that need fixing. When I do things like this, I adjust the table and activate it. Then I scan as above and apply fixes. Then I use code inspector (transaction SCI), to syntax check all the objects in my development namespace. And fix those that come up with errors.

It doesn't guarantee either - for example any dynamic programming won't be picked up - but the risk of missing something is low. If you've got unit tests on all your code, then that reduces the risk even further.

12 REPLIES 12

Use Program RS_ABAP_SOURCE_SCAN , and provide inputs as mentioned below [ String searched for 'Field name 'and in Package 'Z*']

you will get all the places where you have used this particular field across system.

0 Kudos

Thanks for your information.

matt
Active Contributor

The scan function is great, but it's not definitive. It's easy to miss places that need fixing. When I do things like this, I adjust the table and activate it. Then I scan as above and apply fixes. Then I use code inspector (transaction SCI), to syntax check all the objects in my development namespace. And fix those that come up with errors.

It doesn't guarantee either - for example any dynamic programming won't be picked up - but the risk of missing something is low. If you've got unit tests on all your code, then that reduces the risk even further.

0 Kudos

Thanks for your information.

In transaction SCI, how can I check where all the places in program gets error?

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Read the documentation or blogs on how to use SCI. You should use check variant SYNTAX_CHECK.

0 Kudos

Mathew whats wrong in Below Sai Charan suggestion

matt
Active Contributor

saslove.sap Where I wrote "Then I scan as above and apply fixes", at that time Sai Charan's answer was above mine. I.e. my proposal is in addition to Sai Charans.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is also a where-used list for every column of a DDIC table (it works at all places where this table column is statically defined): in SE11, display the table, double-click the column name and click the where-used list button.

0 Kudos

ha ha

0 Kudos
saslove sap are you okay? 🙂

0 Kudos

I mean that kind of basic no one answered that 😉 !!

saslove sap ah okay 🙂 (I understand now, I didn't pay attention that the question was old)