Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging - in update task

h_senden2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

in one of the exits of transaction VA02 (change sales order) during saving, i have a call of a Z-function module in update task.

When i have reached the call of this function during debugging, i'm setting the update debugging on. After saving, the system says 'Update debugging has been triggered', but i'm not getting a debugging session of the Z-function module.

How can i debug the z-function ?

regards,

Hans

15 REPLIES 15

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hans,

Once you get the message 'Update debugging has been triggered' then automatically there will be a new session created if you have not opened 6 sessions already. The new session will open up and you can now set a breakpoint in the FM and once you execute it will stop at this FM.

Cheers

VJ

0 Kudos

Hi VJ,

i only have open 3 sessions, but still no extra session is opened for update debugging. I'm getting only the message 'Update debugging is triggered'.

Hans

0 Kudos

It looks like my problem !

I want to debug an user-exit wich is called in update task by activating the "update debugging" but I on ly get the message 'Update debugging is triggered' and no debug window appear.

It seems this problem appeared with a kernel update (production environnement is ok and not patched).

The problem has been submitted to OSS. I'll inform you when i'll have news

0 Kudos

Try this

1) Put Update Debugging on.

Apply Break Point at the FM - RV_MESSAGE_UPDATE.

2) When the Control Reaches RV_MESSAGE_UPDATE, only press F5 or F6.

All the FM's called in Update Task in the Program are called one by one.

Debug till the FM which you are looking comes.

0 Kudos

Hi ..

If you get the message "Update is being triggered' means that the FM has been triggered.

To debug - Press F7 till the time your screen appears - but before that ...

NOTE: You have to set an external breakpoint in the FM which has Update Task, Other wise the FM will not appear on F7.

Thanks and Regards,

Jitesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi hans,

1) Update function modules do not run in the same user session as the program that is currently running in the ABAP Debugger. These function modules are therefore not included in debugging. Only if you select the Update Debugging option can you display and debug them after the COMMIT WORK.

Update function modules do not run in the same user session as the program that is currently running in the ABAP Debugger. These function modules are therefore not included in debugging. Only if you select the Update Debugging option can you display and debug them after the COMMIT WORK.

2) call the update module func using CALL FUNCTION func IN UPDATE TASK, a new window is opened in which you can debug this function module in the update session. All the breakpoints that were set in the calling processing unit can also be processed here.

Thanks

Sudheer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Copy and paste the below link, this is a PDF file which explains about the Update task debuging

http://www.sappro.com/downloads/Settings&SystemAreas.pdf#search=%22ABAP%20%2B%20Debug%20%2B%20functi...

Thanks

Sudheer

0 Kudos

Sudheer,

thanx for the link, but i'm doing exactly what is described. During debugging, just before the call of the function (IN UPDATE TASK) i'm putting the Update debugging setting on. After that i'm continuing with the program (F8) and i'm getting the message 'Update debugging has been triggered'. However, i'm not getting an extra screen with the debugging of the called function. I have only 2 or 3 screens open !

Any suggestions ?

Has it maybe to do with authorisations ?

regards,

Hans

0 Kudos

Hi Hans,

I doubt if it could be a authorization issue. May be you can check with the Basis team. There is authorization if the persn can debugg or not and if he can change anything in debugg or not. I have never heard of special authorizations for debugg in update task.

This is something really strange.

Cheers

VJ

0 Kudos

Did you check in SM58 transaction after update debuggoing is activated ?

0 Kudos

Hi,

Type /HS and debug.

Regards

vijay

0 Kudos

Hi Geeta Yash,

i've tried transaction SM58, but nothing is in it. The Help tells that it is linked to the IN BACKGROUND TASK, and i'm talking about IN UPDATE TASK.

Hans

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Hans,

One reason of the function not being visible in update debugging is that the function is not registered to be called in the update task. You need to include an COMMIT WORK statement in the program which calls the function in update task.

Read the following link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/9f/dbae4135c111d1829f0000e829fbfe/content.htm

-Kiran

Please reward useful answers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hans -

I beleive we are experiencing very similar issue as you (update window not appearing). We are on kernel version 640, patch 129 (non-Unicode). Is this the kernel you are running? Have you received a response to your OSS message?

Thanks,

Michael Harding

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was facing exactly the same issue. We are on SAP ECC 5.0, kernel 640/0025. For me, the solution was to switch to classic debugger before the debugging is started (the new debugger is not working correctly here). So, in ABAP editor, use menu path: Utilities/Settings/Debugging tab/Classic Debugger radio.button Then set the break-point on COMMIT WORK statement and when hit, then switch on update debugging and continue with pressing F6 *you will go through update task administration in few steps) until the body of your update function module is hit - here you should continue with F5 to enter the update function module debugging. Hope this helps.