Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ddic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

Y is DDIC seperate from database...explain plz

Regards

popin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The DDIC objects mainly reside in the ABAP Dictionary which resides on the Database server.Actually,there is a logical storage at the Application server in the form of ABAP dictionary but then the mappng is done from the ABAP dictionary to the objects physically stored in the Database.

Hence,you can say that the DDIC resides on Application server in the form of virtual database and resides on the Database server physically.

In case you have any further clarifications,do let me know.

To create the database at the SQL level from ABAP, wrap your code around the EXEC SQL command like this:

EXEC SQL.

CREATE TABLE AVERI_CLNT (

CLIENT CHAR(3) NOT NULL,

ARG1 CHAR(3) NOT NULL,

ARG2 CHAR(3) NOT NULL,

FUNCTION CHAR(10) NOT NULL,

PRIMARY KEY (CLIENT, ARG1, ARG2)

)

ENDEXEC.

I know that will work at the database level, but I doubt the DDIC would recognize it. It seems that Open SQL (for ABAP) can not do it. The best way I know of is either transaction SE11 or SE80.

<b>Reward if usefull</b>

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi popin ,

DDIC is d the data dictionary used in SAP.

read the following questions , n their ans...

u'll have a better idea on wat DDIC is...

************************************************************************************************

23. What is a data dictionary ?

Data dictionary is a central source of data in a data management system. Its main function is to support the creation and management of data definitions. It has details about

What data is contained ?

What are the attributes of the data ?

What is the relationship existing between the various data elements ?

23. What functions does a data dictionary perform ?

In a data management system, the principal functions performed by the data dictionary are

- Management of data definitions

- Provision of information for evaluation

- Support for software development

- Support form documentation

- Ensuring that the data definitions are flexible and up-to-date.

24. What are the features of ABAP/4 Dictionary ?

The most important features are :

- Integrated to ABAP/4 Development Workbench

- Active in the runtime environment

25. What are the uses of the information in the Data dictionary ?

The following information is directly taken from the Data dictionary :

- Information on fields displayed with F1 help

- Possible entries for fields displayed with F4 help

- Matchcode and help views search utitlities.

26.What are the basic objects of the data dictionary ?

- Tables

- Domains

- Data elements

- Structures

- Foreign keys

27. What are the aggregate objects in the data dictionary?

- Views

- Matchcodes

- Lock objects

28.In the ABAP/4 Dictionary Tables can be defined independent of the underlying database (T/F)

True

29. ABAP/4 Dictionary contains the Logical _ (Logical/Physical) definition of the table.

***********************************************************************************************

REVERT BACK FOR UR FUTHUR QUERIES ............

also DO REWARD POINTS IF USEFUL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The DDIC objects mainly reside in the ABAP Dictionary which resides on the Database server.Actually,there is a logical storage at the Application server in the form of ABAP dictionary but then the mappng is done from the ABAP dictionary to the objects physically stored in the Database.

Hence,you can say that the DDIC resides on Application server in the form of virtual database and resides on the Database server physically.

In case you have any further clarifications,do let me know.

To create the database at the SQL level from ABAP, wrap your code around the EXEC SQL command like this:

EXEC SQL.

CREATE TABLE AVERI_CLNT (

CLIENT CHAR(3) NOT NULL,

ARG1 CHAR(3) NOT NULL,

ARG2 CHAR(3) NOT NULL,

FUNCTION CHAR(10) NOT NULL,

PRIMARY KEY (CLIENT, ARG1, ARG2)

)

ENDEXEC.

I know that will work at the database level, but I doubt the DDIC would recognize it. It seems that Open SQL (for ABAP) can not do it. The best way I know of is either transaction SE11 or SE80.

<b>Reward if usefull</b>