Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy of a standard transaction doesn't work?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I copied the standard transaction mf42n, all the includes, function modules to a customised transaction.When i checked for the enhancements and badi's in the customised transaction it shows no enhancements and badi's. Do i have to copy separetly the enhancements and badi's from the standard transaction?If so can anyone please tell me the procedure.

Thanks,

dp.

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you copy a transaction, if you select all includes, screens.... automatically everything related to that transaction will get copied.

Regards,

Satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

hI

u first get to know the underlying program for the transaction. Goto SE93 --> Put the tcode and click display. This will show u the program name.

Now, tht u hv got the pgm name, goto SE80 --> Select the object as Program and give the Program name.

Now click on copy and provide the Z program name.

if neede, u also will hv to copy the Includes, Documentation, etc. for the same.

While copying a standard transaction may at first seem the easy way to achieve the functionality you need, there are a number of longer term negatives with this approach.

If you copy major parts of SAP code like this, your copies will not be kept up to date as SAP OSS Notes are applied to the original using SNOTE. You can manually apply such changes, but this is nearly always forgotten as the person applying the note does not always realise there is a local copy.

This also applies when support packs are loaded - the SAP code can be changed without these changes being reflected in your copy. In the worst case scenario, the change may result in your copy of the transaction performing invalid updates to data and causing data integrity issues in your system.

When the time comes to upgrade the system, there will be a major amount of work in comparing the Z version of the code with the standard code to identify what is in the new version and to update the Z code - in a lot of cases this will mean a complete rebuild of the Z version is required.

It is far better to use available BADIs, user exits, enhancement points and even repairs using the object key to achieve the desired result so that tools like SNOTE, SPAU, etc can keep the basic code up to date with the latest patches.

Another option for some types of change is to build a custom screen that calls the standard transaction using BDC / Call Transaction or using a BAPI so that the data is presented as desired by the customer, but the updates still use the SAP supplied code.

0 Kudos

Hi Naresh,

Thanks for the reply.

My requirement is for the new program the selection screen should be similar to the standard transaction MF42N but it requires extra two columns in the selection screen of the customised transaction.The new program should run same as the standard transaction MF42N , but i need to add some additonal checkings that also should work.

Thanks,

dp.