Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Column Headings/Data Element Question

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do not have access to the SAP system, but am working with exports from a SAP system. I am trying to define the multitude of columns that were recieved in the file. Is there any table or listling of the standard column headings (i.e. data elements) within SAP that are available, including their definition?

For example, I have found through google that HKONT stands for the GL Account Number. But I have nearly 1,000 different data elements that I am looking for. Does anyone know if this is available, outside of SAP?

Thanks!

Jen

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

A good idea is to search for the Technical Spec / CMD(Change Management Document) of the interface that sends you the file. That should contain the list of fields and the order in which they appear in the file. That should help you to go forward.

-Shiny

Edited by: Shiny John on Jul 22, 2010 10:26 PM

Edited by: Shiny John on Jul 22, 2010 10:26 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK - so pretend that I am not very computer savvy. I don't necessairily understand what I'm supposed to search based on the last response from Shiny - but I'm sure it is a great answer. Can you "dumb it down" for me?

0 Kudos

Well .. I don't know how to explain it further....

We maintain a Change Management Document(CMD) for every development that is carried out. The CMD contains a section called Functional Spec and another called Technical Spec. All the necessary details about the development will be maintained in those two sections. Having no access to the SAP system, the way you can get to know about the fields that are being sent through your interface (Assuming that the file you have with you right now has been sent to you by an interface) is to refer your CMD.

Your team mates can tell you where the CMDs are saved.

0 Kudos

Shiny assumes that the SAP universe operates like his asteroid.....:-))

This is quite a problem...perhaps you could persuade the consultants involved to also provide an "English" caption for the field/data element names... Another source of information, if you can get to SAP are the DD* (SAP Data Dictionary) tables, notably DD04T. There are 360,575 rows in this table in my installation...these include a data element name and caption, long, short, medium...for the data element.

But these are data element names, not fieldnames, and I would assume that your extract contains SAP fieldnames...In case you haven't encountered this...the hierarchy is table->field->data element->domain. Field labels(texts) appear for the data element. One would probably needs to do a join to get table/field/data element/texts.

0 Kudos

Do not want to offend anyone .. But I suggested that method since he had clearly mentioned this :

I do not have access to the SAP system  
&
Does anyone know if this is available, outside of SAP

-- Not because there are no way to find the filed- description relationship in SAP

As far as I know, we need to login to SAP to access the DD tables !

-Shiny

Edited by: Shiny John on Jul 23, 2010 10:19 PM