Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Character conversion problems when calling FM via RFC from Unicode ECC 6.0?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I faced a Cyrillic character convertion problem while calling an RFC function from R/3 ECC 6.0 (initialized as Unicode system - c.p. 4103). My target system is R/3 4.6C with default c.p. 1500.

The parameter I used in my FM interface in target system is of type CHAR10 (single-byte, obviously).

I have defined rfc-connection (SM59) as an ABAP connection and further client/logon language/user/password are supplied.

The problem I faced is, that Cyrillic symbols are transferred as '#' in the target system ('#' is set as default symbol in RFC-destination definition in case character convertion error is met).

Checking convertions between c.p. 4103 and target c.p. 1500 in my source system using tools of transaction i18n shows no errors - means conversion passed O.K. It seems default character conversion executed by source system whithin the scope of RFC-destination definition is doing something wrong.

Further, I played with MDMP & Unicode settings whithin the RFC-destination definition with no successful result - perhaps due to lack of documentation for how to set and manage these parameters.

The question is: have someone any experience with any conversion between Unicode and non-Unicide systems via RFC-call (non-English target obligatory !!!), or can anyone share valuable information regarding this issue - what should be managed in the RFC-destination in order to get character conversion working? Is it acceptable to use any character parameter in the target function module interface at all?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ivaylo Mutafchiev

Senior SAP ABAP Consultant

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey,

I had a similar experience. I was interfacing between 4.6 (RFC), PI and ECC 6.0 (ABAP Proxy). When data was passed from ECC to 4.6, RFC received them incorrectly. So i had to send trimmed strings from ECC and receive them as strings in RFC (esp for CURR and QUAN fields). Also the receiver communication channel in PI (between PI and RFC) had to be set as Non unicode. This helped a bit. But still I am getting 2 issues, truncation of values and some additional digits !! But the above changes resolved unwanted characters problem like "<" and "#". You can find a related post in my id. Hope this info helps..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are able to pass code page try 4110. Hope this might solve your issue.

Thanks,

Prashanth