Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.Append and .Include Structure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can anyone explain me what is the difference between .Append and .Include Structure

I tried to search in found different answer from different ppl.

In one post, someone mentioned that .Append is use in custom table. but as per my knowledge we can jst add up field in z-table and dont need .Appen and .Inclde.

now my questions are:

1. what is the difference between .Append and .Include Structure

2. when to use .Append and and when to use .Include Structure and how to decide what to use.

3. is .Append is use for z-table? if so then what is the use? when we can directly add fields in z tables..

4. in some post i found that fields of .Append shd be custome namespase i.e shd start with zz or yy but in VBAK table .Append is appended but field name is not start with zz or yy . in Rkpf table i found some fields under .Include starting with ZZ and some are not.

5. where to add the code to append data in tables for both .Append and .Include

6. How to add .Append and .include structure to the tables.

Thanks in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

uwe_schieferstein
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

An APPEND belongs to one and only one table (1:1 relation). An INCLUDE can be included in many tables (and structures) and APPENDs.

I prefer the following approach:

(1) Create APPEND for my target table
(2) Create one ore many INCLUDE structures (which group different kinds of fields, 
      .e.g. address fields, accouting fields, etc.)
(3) Include the INCLUDE structures in the single APPEND structure

The reasoning behind this is that I need to touch the APPEND only rarely because all additional fields are added into the INCLUDE structures which automatically "updates" the APPEND structure.

Regards

Uwe

5 REPLIES 5

Sm1tje
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

There is a good description in the online help at [http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/cf/21eb61446011d189700000e8322d00/content.htm]

The "append structure" was introduced in SAP release 3.0 and is intended to hold customer fields added to a standard SAP table. By placing these in an append structure rather than directly in the table, the SAP tabls retains its standard structure and does not have to be adjusted with every upgrade. The SAP dictionary automatically preserves the link between the (standard) table and the append structure. As the help text esplains, an append structure can only belong to one table, whereas a normal include structure is freely definable and can be used in any number of tables or structures. Append structures themselves are in the customer name range; they are normally called ZA<tab> where <tab> is the name of the base table to which they belong.

So, to summarize the usage:

- you want to add your own fields to a SAP table/structure: use append structure

- you want to define a structure consisting of a logically related group of fields, and you want to be able to refer to this structure in any table or structure of your own: use an include structure

Hope this helps,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

uwe_schieferstein
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

An APPEND belongs to one and only one table (1:1 relation). An INCLUDE can be included in many tables (and structures) and APPENDs.

I prefer the following approach:

(1) Create APPEND for my target table
(2) Create one ore many INCLUDE structures (which group different kinds of fields, 
      .e.g. address fields, accouting fields, etc.)
(3) Include the INCLUDE structures in the single APPEND structure

The reasoning behind this is that I need to touch the APPEND only rarely because all additional fields are added into the INCLUDE structures which automatically "updates" the APPEND structure.

Regards

Uwe

Former Member
0 Kudos