Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALV Grid report must execute in Background,with color format,dumped to FTP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

After searching extensively SDN since the past couple of weeks, I'm posting this requirement.

My client requirement is, since one of their report is taking long to execute in foreground, has asked it to be executed in background. But here is the catch:

1. Report must be executed in background, but since with OPEN DATASET, the report would be dumped in CSV format on the application server

2. I need the report to be dumped in excel format, alongwith color legends (OLE concept) but not sure how OLE can be used to convert a CSV file into an XLS file on the application server

3. The converted XLS file need to be transported to an FTP server (using FTP protocols)

So dear alll, please help me in the possibility of the scnerio, whether the requirements is possible and if yes, what should be the sequence of technologies used OPEN DATASET-OLE-FTP???

My final requirement is, that the report executed in background, must automatically dump the XLS file with color legends on the FTP server!!!!

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3

Clemenss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed,

this will not be done in 5 Minutes.

For the excel background creation have a look at[ Ivan Femia's blog abap2xlsx - Generate your professional Excel spreadsheet from ABAP|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/20046] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken]; or [Naimesh Patel's ABAP and Excel - Create Formatted Excel using XML|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/13092] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];.

If you manage to create the file this way, it can be opened by excel.

Note: It is not possible to create Microsoft proprietary binary file format called Binary Interchange File Format (BIFF). Starting with Excel 2007 Excel uses Office Open XML as its primary file format, an XML-based format that you can create yourself folowing above links.

The FTP part will be comparably easy, open ftp destination, put file. Many Information on SCN and elsewhere.

Regards,

Clemens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Clemens,

Thanks for that valuable suggestion, atleast I got a direction to think about, so from here on its gotta be xml...

But, since I have no idea about xml coding, also I went through those 2 links you had sent, but I'm still unable to understand the following points:

1.How do I generate the xml code, relevant to formatting that I did in ALV Grid using the FM "REUSE_ALV_GRID_DISPLAY"?

2. How do I go about saving the xml file onto the Application server?

3. Can you please provide any sample ALV report code, where such XML formatting has been used?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Azeem Ahmed Matte