Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Development in multiple SAP versions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings-

I was wondering if there were people out there who had the need to maintain ABAP code in multiple versions of SAP simultaneously. If so, what is your approach to do this efficiently?

Further explanation: My company is a software company that develops software to integrate with SAP. As such our customers use different versions of SAP ranging from 4.6C to ECC 6.0. Currently we are maintaining four different code bases to accomodate the differences in syntax and underlying architecture. I was wondering if anyone knew of any code management software, or if they had any creative business processes that they would be willing to share to make this as efficient a process as possible.

Thanks,

Andy

4 REPLIES 4

former_member194669
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

My company maintains the code according to version in different user defined name spaces.

For Example

All 4.6

/1PSS/VER46C/EN0000TOP

All 4.7

/1PSS/VER470/EN0000TOP

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am working in a sap upgrade for version 4.6C y ECC 6.0 ( Company REPSOL YPF ,one of the biggest petroleum enterprises)

The upgrade is not difficult at all. The worst task is control the modifications out of standard..

I am maintaning two versions and works twice. I think that it's not a good option to do it. It requires much control and the different version don't works equal.

The mechanism for making the upgrade easier its managing the transports order correctly.First the standard modifications ,UNICODE and then correct the funcionality . At last making the improvements in the last version only. You must synchronize both systems.

I don't know some tools to manage this but i haven't need it .I coordinate my development team perfectly

0 Kudos

Thank you for your speedy reply. Just for clarification we are not upgrading from 4.6C to 6.0. We have to deliver code in transports to customers on 4.6C, 4.7, 5.0, or 6.0. Each customer is on a different version of SAP so we need to maintain working versions of our code bases for each version of SAP. It gets pretty overwhelming sometimes, but there must be a way for us to improve the process if nothing else.

0 Kudos

Did you had a solution for this challenge?