We have just upgraded our BO setup from 3.1 SP3 to SP5. We are using SiteMinder as the authentication mechanism. We are facing problem after upgrade wherein SSO is not working when trying to login to infoview through browser. We always receive below error message :
We have opened a case in SAP 3 days back but couldn't get any help till now 😔 . Request you all experts to provide some help so that we can fix the issue (if at all there is no bug in the release)
Below are the test cases we have performed so far :
1) Double checking web.config file -- Everything is fine, this has been confirmed by the SAP consultant who is working on ticket.
2) CMC Plug is configured properly -- Received confirmation from the SAP Consultant working on the ticket.
3) Agent 4.x exists in Policy Server.
4) Policy Server is configured to protect the infoview application.
One strange fact here is whenever I restart my IIS Server , the very FIRST time I am able to login successfully (without any error) , Now if I close the browser and open a new browser and try accessing the inforview app I get SiteMinder Challenge page -> On providing my credentials I am successfully authenticated but I get above mentioned error:
Account Information Not Recognized: Security plugin error: Failed to set parameters on plugin.
I am attaching the snapshot for reference please. Request all experts for their help as it is affecting all the customers.