1. A Billing document was created and posted to FI, Profit Center and CO-PA without any issues.
2. An FI credit memo was issued for this invoice.
3. Open items in steps 1 and 2 were manually cleared against each other.
4. The billing document was cancelled using T.Code VF11.
5. Cancellation billing document was created. and information message VF208 was issued - automatic clearing of billing document and cancellation document not possible. The message is understandable and it is only a message. Hence the user accepted this message to proceed further. However accounting document was not created.
6. Accounting document was not created to error message KI235 - GL a/c requires an assignment to a CO object.
7. The GL account is a cost element with category 11 and hence the CO object required is the profitability segment. The billing document posted to the same GL account. There is no change in master data or configuration between the time billing document was created and its cancellation.
8. I reviewed SAP OSS notes and googled for forum threads. Couldn't find a clue to the root cause so we can rectify.
9. I tried this fix. I used FBRA to reset and reverse the FI credit memo with which the original billing document was cleared. I again tried to release the cancellation billing document. The system gave the same two messages - VF208 followed by KI235.
Will appreciate any inputs to resolve the issue.
Thanks in advance!