Skip to Content
author's profile photo Former Member
Former Member

External DS - Char showing data not present in ODS

Hi,

I'm trying to get data into Pivot Table (using Get External DataSource in Excel). Things are working fine except for the following:

1. When I choose Material in the layout(or any characteristic), it shows all the materials and not just what is present in the ODS (I guess it is using the Master Data directly). The same is happening when I use date fields.

2. I'm unable to drilldown. When I double click, I get the error "Cannot show or hide details for the selection"

3. Data only shows description. Though I have set only "Key" in the query.

4. Sometimes, when I choose more fields in the layout, the session terminates.

Glad if someone can help.

Thanks

KRK

Add a comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Related questions

3 Answers

  • author's profile photo Former Member
    Former Member
    Posted on Dec 08, 2004 at 10:27 AM

    I must admit, I don't know how the External DataSource in Excel works, however:

    1. and 3. Could it be related to the settings in the InfoObject (transaction RSD1 -> edit InfoObject -> Business Explorer tab. There you have display settings, key and or description. There is also the possibility "Query def. filter value selection" and "Query Execution filter value selection" that define whether Master Data or InfoProvider data is used.

    2. Maybe it doesn't load all data you require but just the current navigation with no option to drill down?

    4. Maybe the amount of data would be too much for Excel to handle (65536 lines etc.)?

    Regards, Klaus

    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • author's profile photo Former Member
    Former Member
    Posted on Dec 08, 2004 at 10:03 PM

    Hi Klaus,

    Thanks for the inputs. However there are a few things that I wish to tell:

    1. If I change the InfoObject to show only the Key (in BEx tab) this will effect all other cubes/ods which I do not wish.

    I did not understand what you meant by "Query def. filter value selection" and "Query Execution filter value selection". Could you please eloborate. FYI, I'm not using any filter values in the query def.

    2. Regarding Drilldown, its nice to have. Glad if someone can throw some light on this. As of 2.0B it does not support drilldown for OLEDB for OLAP. I could not find any doc on 3.x though.

    4. Regarding termination, its not because the data being too large. My ODS Data itself is not more than 50k records. This problem was more when I was using Office 2000. I upgraded to Office 2003 and I saw a quantum change. The number of terminations this time is far less than what it did before. But it still is there.

    FYI --> We are on 3.0B patch 15 (we are planning upgrade to 3.1 which requires upgrade of PIs.

    Appreciate if you could respond.

    Thanks and Regards

    KRK

    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member

      Hi KRK,

      1. I understand that you don't want to change but I think it's the only the default you set in RSD1 and you can change in the query, but I don't even know whether it would solve your problem, just a guess.

      "Query def. filter value selection" and "Query Execution filter value selection" are the descriptions of the input fields you have in transaction RSD1 on the BEx tab. Maybe it's named differently in 3.0B, SP15 (rather low isn't it?) but it must be there. You can specify whether F4 should be read from master data or from InfoProvider. If you don't know what I mean I can send a screenshot by e-mail.

      Regards, Klaus

  • author's profile photo Former Member
    Former Member
    Posted on Dec 09, 2004 at 07:45 PM

    Dear Klaus,

    Thanks for the info. The InfoObject def for eg. ZLDATE - Upload date (reference 0Date) has the:

    > "Query Def Filter Value Selection" as "Only values in InfoProvider" and

    > Query Execution Filter Value Selection" as "Only posted values for Navigation

    (basically same as 0Date). However, for this also it shows up dates from the Master Data (ie. 0Date). In the BEx query it shows correctly. However, when we have it on the Pivot Table it shows up all the dates (which are not in the infoprovider).

    Strange. Right.

    Let me see if there is something else to do. Thanks a lot for the inputs.

    Regards

    KRK

    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Before answering

You should only submit an answer when you are proposing a solution to the poster's problem. If you want the poster to clarify the question or provide more information, please leave a comment instead, requesting additional details. When answering, please include specifics, such as step-by-step instructions, context for the solution, and links to useful resources. Also, please make sure that you answer complies with our Rules of Engagement.
You must be Logged in to submit an answer.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MB each and 10.5 MB total.