Skip to Content
author's profile photo Former Member
Former Member

Bugs in Quick Car Rental tutorial

The JSP code in the Quick Car Rental tutorial contains several wrongly placed space characters. The result is that the tutorial application does not run.

As I wrote in the thread "Error 503 (Service Unavailable) / Application Stopped", the provided JSP code contains 11 snippets of the kind:

<% =Constants.ACTION_SAVE %>

That should be:

<%= Constants.ACTION_SAVE %>

This causes the following error message when directing the browser to http://localhost:50000/QuickCarRental: Application error occurred during the request procession.

Details: javax.servlet.ServletException: The requested resource ( QuickCarRental/servlet/quickCarRentalView.jsp ) is not found


This error message is misleading. The JSP itself can be found; it even contains the bugs leading to the error messages.

When these bugs are corrected, the Quick Car Rental application shows up, but on attempting to make a car reservation, other error messages come up. These are caused by 5 bugs in the JSP, in snippets of the kind:

value=" <%...%> "

which should be:



I am still curious for answers to my earlier questions:

How did these bugs slip through in the tutorial?

And why are so few people complaining about them?

Add a comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Related questions

1 Answer

  • author's profile photo Former Member
    Former Member
    Posted on Jun 08, 2004 at 06:31 PM

    I thought they left the bugs in there on purpose, so you would need to do the next tutorial... the one about how to find bugs in JSP 😉

    Actually, I went through the tutorial, but I typed everything in (as opposed to downloading and importing the code). Actually, there's one code segment that's cut-off in the PDF and you must get it from the downloaded code. I think that was Java code, not jsp, though.

    The resulting application that I arrived at mostly worked, but had a few functional glitches. I didn't see any 'hard stop' errors when I tested the app. Actually, I might have corrected these JSP errors, but I don't remember doing so.


    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Before answering

You should only submit an answer when you are proposing a solution to the poster's problem. If you want the poster to clarify the question or provide more information, please leave a comment instead, requesting additional details. When answering, please include specifics, such as step-by-step instructions, context for the solution, and links to useful resources. Also, please make sure that you answer complies with our Rules of Engagement.
You must be Logged in to submit an answer.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MB each and 10.5 MB total.