Skip to Content
avatar image
Former Member

deploying crystal reports 8.5 - error in exporting to RTF & PDF

Hi guys. I'm at my wits end, trying to get a valid build of a legacy app running reports under Crystal 8.5 going.

I've scoured google for days, and I've tried almost everything people have suggested. At the moment I've got the installer working, it installs and registers all the crystal dll's that everyone says are needed. However, when I try and and export a report to RTF or PDF (other options like excel work fine), it simply dies, doing basically nothing. The save to disk dialog just closes and nothing happens. If I rename or delete crxf_rtf.dll, the program will crash or hang, indicating that this is the file responsible for exporting to rtf.

However, the only machine in our office that this will work on is one with a C:\Program Files\Seagate Software\crtslv.dll file.. Same kind of test indicates that on this machine, the above file is being used for exporting. So, where am I going wrong? It seems ludicrously difficult to find a straight, no-nonsense guide on how to deploy crystal reports 8.5; the official documentation doesn't even mention it! What is the easiest way to do this?

I have tried several third-party options ( ) like these..

Any ideas?

Ok so here's a further breakdown with some more information; hoping it might help someone to come up with an answer...

If I install a crystal "distributable", like the one linked above, and then install my project (with all crystal stuff turned off in the installer), everything works perfectly apart from exporting reports to rtf.

If I make my own installer, following the Runtime.hlp and the crpe32.dep, and put all dll's in the windows/system32 folder (apart from two, can't remember their names), I get two different errors, depending on the version of crpe32.dll I use.

One gives me "Error 20599: Cannot connect to SQL Server", whenever I try and run a report.

The other gives me "Error 20000: N", whenever I try and run a report.

Anything sound familiar here guys? I have dll dependency headache.

Again, more info - I just checked out the PC's already in deployment (we had to re-do in the installer for some changes, the guys who did it originally aren't around anymore), and here is a list of the dll's installed on the machine.. what deployment method would this point to? And how can I replicate it? I'm not sure if I grabbed all the required DLL's from the client machine, as it didn't seem to follow the Crystal 8.5 deployment instructions, I could have easily have missed some? So I can't just use what I've got to create an installer and hope that it works...



























































Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Follow
  • Get RSS Feed

2 Answers

  • Best Answer
    Dec 06, 2010 at 03:10 PM

    So, the 1st problem is, from your info I can not tell what SDK the app is using. Your runtime runs the gamut of all the possible SDKs; "C:\Windows\System32\Crystl32.OCX";, "C:\Windows\System32\cpeaut32.dll";, "C:\Windows\System32\craxdrt.dll";, crpe32.dll. E.g.; the app mint be using the ocx, the cpeaut, craxdrt (rdc), crpe32 (print engine apis).

    Use the [Modules|] utility to find out what dlls are loading on the computer that works. Then ensure that those same dlls are being installed on the runtime box - in the same directories. Also, make sure you are distributing the app on an OS that is supported by CR 8.5, E.g.; it more than likely will not work on WIN 7, Vista or Server 2008...

    Also, see [this|] wiki.

    Umm, and yah - understanding the realities of the "real world", nevertheless it may be time to get with the times. You're only 10+ years behind the times so any help will be pretty hard to get.


    Edited by: Ludek Uher on Dec 6, 2010 7:11 AM

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member Ludek Uher


      The first way I tried was to use the included deployment help that comes with CR 8.5; Runtime.hlp. It lists a whole heap of DLL's to include and where they should go. The second way I tried was through the .dep files, again including all DLL's and putting them in the correct spots. So pretty much exactly what you were saying - check out the .dep's and mimic it with the visual studio installer. Neither approach has given me any love at all - I simply get an error saying "Error 20599: Cannot connect to SQL Server", when I try and run a crystal report. However if I install a third-party product such as the one linked in the first post, it connects to the server fine, but won't load the RTF. Is this because it is using a different SDK?

      However on both times I have been creating the installer on a machine with XP SP 3 - will this adversely affect things? Should I try building it on a machine with SP1 or 2?

  • Jan 12, 2011 at 08:53 PM

    I know of others who used all 3 engines but in your case and .NET none of our components have ever been tested nor supported in .NET.

    For the time it takes you to try to do this I suggest it would be much Quicker to simply update your app to use our .NET components and then you are on a supported platforms...

    Good luck


    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member

      Thanks guys, finally managed to get it working.. in the end it was a combination of sloppy programming (old programmer had left two different connection strings in application, one for normal app, one for reports - even though both used the same ODBC connection - the reports one wasn't set correctly!), and just mind-numbing trial and error with different versions of dll's and so on in the installer.

      Cheers for your help