Skip to Content
author's profile photo Former Member
Former Member

Error starting BSP App

I have a curious problem that occurs when a colleague starts a BSP application. He gets 2 popup windows in his Internet Explorer window (immediately, before any other thing happens):

The first says: "Windows cannot find 'http://sap010.alarismed.com:8002/sap/bc/bsp/sap/crm_bsp_frame/select.htm?sap-client=400&sap-sessioncmd=open' Make sure you typed the name correctly...."

This is a Microsoft error message. The URL is a valid path to the BSP page, but does not contain the URL mangling part of the usual BSP URL. One can type this string manually into IE and it brings up the page correctly after a login prompt, this time with the URL mangled.

After closing the first popup, the second popup appears:

(PopUp Title: SAP Graphics Multiplexer 620-N)

E3: unable to start child process: executable file name 'http://sap010.alarismed.com:8002/sap/bc/bsp/sap/crm_bsp_frame/select.htm?sap-client=400&sap-sessioncmd=open' Windows NT error 2: File not found

Now I found this error message in OSS notes, and it usually means that a physical file on some harddrive has been moved. But this is a URL!

After closing the second popup, we are left with a blank IE window.

Where do I start looking for this error? I have the same operating system (Windows XP Pro) and same SAPGUI version as my colleague, and same IE version with same Advanced settings, cookie options etc, as far as I can tell. We both accept 1st party and 3rd party and session cookies. He is not blocking any specific cookies.

I do not get the error with my userid on my PC, my colleague does not get the error with his userid on my PC, I do not get the error with my userid on his PC, but he gets the error on his PC with his userid! That seems to eliminate authorization problems, SICF setup problems, SAPGUI version problems, IE problems...

I tried a trace from SICF - I can see my HTTP activity in the trace, but when he gets the error, there is no HTTP trace. Any thoughts on what to try next?

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

1 Answer

  • Posted on Jan 09, 2004 at 11:49 AM

    Hi,

    have you set the host name of your PC (normally "localhost", unless you've named it something more esoterical) in the Utilities--> Settings - BSP tab - Application Server field (transaction SE80)? Seems to me the "dysfunctional" URL hints at this not being done...

    Regards,

    Trond

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member

      Hi Tronde,

      all of those Settings fields are blank for both of our userids (he has the Local Editor set to something), so we are both getting system defaults.

      I also made a mistake in my earlier statements - the error is created by my userid and his userid, but only using his PC. Both of us are OK when we use my PC. So it must be a PC setting. I tried following the code with Debugger - it gets into the "old" kind of method calls...

      CALL METHOD OF ...

      which is the original OLE code before ABAP Objects, and I also see a call to RFC destination SAPGUI (but I cannot see what this is really doing). There are also many calls that look like this:

      SYSTEM-CALL SOLID POINTER.....

      which I have no idea about. So it remains something of a mystery. My best guess is that the SAP system sends the "unscrambled" URL over to the PC, trying to start a web browser and get the whole HTTP cycle started. On his PC, this is somehow failing because some program is missing, and the error message in this case is not very accurate, but his PC doesn't know how to convert the data into a valid URL and send it back out into the Internet to initiate an SAP session.

      Any other ideas would be welcome...

      Paul