Skip to Content
author's profile photo Former Member
Former Member

report missing some data from dataset

Hi

I populate my report using a dataset and most of the time the report generation is successful.

but after a while (3-5 reports) I start getting missing data in the report. Either the png blobs do not get printed or some other string fields. Usually the same strings are missing.

If I continue generating reports after that I get "report could not be submitted for background processing" error or since I use some fields for formatting I get errors corresponding to those formulas where I try to use the missing fields.

I have checked the dataset before SetDataSource and it is complete, images and all.

Is there some way to restart the embedded crystal reports thread/process programmatically from c#? if the problem is because of memory fragmentation, this might solve the problem.

I use crystal reports basic 2008 for visual studio 2008.

Kind regards

//Gunnar

Add a comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Related questions

1 Answer

  • Best Answer
    Posted on Oct 11, 2010 at 03:50 PM

    I moved your post to the .NET - SAP Crystal Reports.

    First, download SP 1 for CR 10.5:

    https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100009351512008E/crbasic2008sp1.exe

    Running 3 - 5 reports will not cause memory fragmentation. But not using .Close and .Dispose on the report object may be causing the issues you are seeing.

    So, do the above first. If you keep getting background processing errors, see the article [Causes of "Background Processing" error|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50a6f5e8-8164-2b10-7ca4-b5089df76b33].

    Also, the blog [Troubleshooting Issues with VS .NET Datasets and Crystal Reports|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/13270] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken]; may come in handy.

    Ludek

    Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/SAPCRNetSup

    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member Ludek Uher

      I should have read the documentation first, I guess.

      You cannot keep all info from all threads on top of your mind. I am grateful for your insight.

      I think the solution lies with creating a simple console line app that takes the dataset exported as xml and creates a pdf.

      Then I start it from my app using System.diagnostics.process with the path to the source xml dataset and the target pdf.

      The quick test app worked remarkably well.

      Is there a way to get a checksum of the dataset that crystal reports have received so that I can be sure that it got into the report alright? Since this is a medical application it is quite important that the generated report is correct. Or is there any way to read back out the complete dataset and then I can bitwise compare them.

      //Gunnar

Before answering

You should only submit an answer when you are proposing a solution to the poster's problem. If you want the poster to clarify the question or provide more information, please leave a comment instead, requesting additional details. When answering, please include specifics, such as step-by-step instructions, context for the solution, and links to useful resources. Also, please make sure that you answer complies with our Rules of Engagement.
You must be Logged in to submit an answer.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MB each and 10.5 MB total.