I would like to know what is the best way to maintain the global template and the related rollouts documentation.
I know the functionality of Solution Directory, ie. it should be the primary place to maintain a solution in production, changes should be done using maintenance project, checking out scenarios etc. However, my customer is running into a couple of challenges. The current situation is as follows:
- The global template phase I has been finished (containing financial template).
- The global template phase II development is starting (containing logistics template).
- The phase I template has been rolled out to five countries which all are in production.
- The phase I template will continue with new rollouts coming.
- All the country-specific rollouts are actually in one physical SAP system so there is only one system to be maintained.
I see it somehow impossible to try to maintain the template + rollout documentation in one single solution in Solution Directory. There is only one Documentation tab in the solution and if we put all the country-specific documentation there it is a mess. Furthermore, all the rollout projects are separate, it would be difficult to manager rollout projects with one maintenance project. Not to add the fact the compare and adjust functionality applies only to template projects not solution.
I have the feeling that we would need continue maintaining the global template and rollout projects in SolMan Implementantion projects (template + rollout projects, template versions, compare and adjustment etc.). Only if I want to start process monitoring I would use solution but otherwise it cannot be very much utilized at the moment.
Any comments? Have I missed something here now? I would appreciate any practical experiences about this.