Skip to Content

ERwin relationship verb phrases (I.e. roles) not imported properly into PowerDesigner 16.6.x

As with previous versions, PD 16.6.6 still has problems importing Entity 1 -> Entity 2 Roles (I.e. parent to child verb phrases). Sometimes they incorrectly come across as the role code and other times the role code is derived from something else I can't figure out. Either way, the Entity 1 -> Entity 2 Roles never import properly.

This can be seen in the following eMovies mapping:

You can easily import a model built with ERwin into PowerDesigner" with loss of metadata if you want to test this out.

I am hoping that by bringing this up it gets fixed in a subsequent release.

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Get RSS Feed

4 Answers

  • Best Answer
    Feb 21 at 07:23 PM

    An SAP consultant came up with a much more elegant solution. PowerDesigner has a very robust scripting engine that you can use (post initial import) to open the ERwin model and update the PowerDesigner model with the proper values.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Sep 12, 2018 at 11:09 AM

    I have an old (2012, I think) XML copy of the eMovies model. When I import this into a LDM with PD 16.6.6, none of the role names come across.

    Have you used the metadata export in ERwin to create a PD model? Does that give you the right role names? If so, you could merge the models.

    If you want SAP to change anything, you have to raise a support case :)

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Sep 13, 2018 at 07:37 PM

    I tried following the instructions per the help...

    • ERwin v7.x, v8.x, v9.x (.xml) – the ERwin model must be saved as Standard XML Format, and you must uncheck Only save minimum amount of information in the ERwin Save as XML File dialog box.

    ...but interestingly enough the only interface with said checkbox is when one saves the model in XML format using the API.

    I tried exporting the model from within ERwin using the MITI bridge but there is no LDM option. I did export it as a PDM and the resulting native PD file did include the P-t-C verb phrases but there were a whole slew of other problems which eliminate that as an option. I was hoping I could simply compare my original LDM to the PDM but you can't compare / merge models of different types and I didn't see a way to convert the PDM into a LDM.

    The MITI bridge generates an XML file from ERwin and then converts it into PD format. I compared that XML with the one I imported directly into PD and they were the same.

    All this to say the problem has to be with the ERwin XML parser within PD.

    Sharing my findings with the community to save them from having to go through the extensive tests I performed while the issue gets resolved in a subsequent product release.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Have you tried exporting the model from ERwin as a PD CDM?

      The only way to compare/merge LDM and PDM in PowerDesigner is to use the model generation feature. If you want to update your LDM from the PDM:

      • have both models open
      • ensure the PDM diagram is active
      • on the Tools menu, select "generate logical data model"
      • choose to update an existing model, select the LDM
      • go through the wizard steps, choosing which changes to apply (the details of that are too long a topic for this discussion thread)

  • Oct 26, 2018 at 05:55 PM

    Thanks George, way more work than what I really wanted to go through (it would be nice if the original import had simply worked as expected) but an "acceptable" workaround nonetheless!

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded