When starting the Add-on: Connection timed out issue
We have a client in SAP 2005 PL 44.
I built the add-on for them using simple installer wizard ( I tried advanced set-up also).
When starting the add-on, I get the message 'Connection Timed Out'.
Add-on status is failed.
But the add-on is actually connected. i.e, The functionality associated with the add-on is working fine.
I had SAP 2007 before and un/reinstalled SAP 2005 in order to connect with this client.
I had built the same add-on in a similar way for the same client for lot many times in the past, but I never got this issue.
I tried the following:
1) Delete SM_OBS_DLL and un/reinstall DI API
2) un/reinstall B1DE
Always I'm getting this error.
Please let me know your inputs.