Skip to Content
avatar image
Former Member


Hi Experts,

ERROR: When executing one of the reports, I'm getting a short dump in BW production. The report was working fine during recent times, after the recent delta loads it has stopped working. When executing BEx query I'm getting " field symbol not yet assigned" error, In the start routine or end routine I have not used any custom field symbols, however in end routine result package assigning < result_fields> statement being used.


Application Component BW-BEX-OT

Error Analysis:
You attempted to access an unassigned field symbol
(data segment "-1").

This error may occur if
- You address a typed field symbol before it has been set with

- You address a field symbol that pointed to the line of an
internal table that was deleted
- You address a field symbol that was previously reset using
UNASSIGN or that pointed to a local field that no
longer exists
- You address a global function interface, although the
respective function module is not active - that is, is
not in the list of active calls. The list of active calls
can be taken from this short dump.


Error occurred in the line :

 max <l_s_016_n>-w001 <l_s_016_o>-w001.

Source Code

METHOD a_max_s_rsroa_df_short. "H1922435
 locals_and_assign_ini df_short.

 IF i_wanz < 16.
 DO i_wanz TIMES.
 ASSIGN: <l_io> INCREMENT sy-index TO <l_woi> RANGE c_s_d,
 <l_in> INCREMENT sy-index TO <l_wni> RANGE i_s_d.

 max <l_wni> <l_woi>.
 l_increment = 1.

 l_increment_max = i_wanz - 15.

 WHILE l_increment <= l_increment_max.
 assign_s 016 df_short.

 max <l_s_016_n>-w001 <l_s_016_o>-w001.
 max <l_s_016_n>-w002 <l_s_016_o>-w002.
 max <l_s_016_n>-w003 <l_s_016_o>-w003.
 max <l_s_016_n>-w004 <l_s_016_o>-w004.
 max <l_s_016_n>-w005 <l_s_016_o>-w005.
 max <l_s_016_n>-w006 <l_s_016_o>-w006.
 max <l_s_016_n>-w007 <l_s_016_o>-w007.
 max <l_s_016_n>-w008 <l_s_016_o>-w008.
 max <l_s_016_n>-w009 <l_s_016_o>-w009.
 max <l_s_016_n>-w010 <l_s_016_o>-w010.
 max <l_s_016_n>-w011 <l_s_016_o>-w011.
 max <l_s_016_n>-w012 <l_s_016_o>-w012.
 max <l_s_016_n>-w013 <l_s_016_o>-w013.
 max <l_s_016_n>-w014 <l_s_016_o>-w014.
 max <l_s_016_n>-w015 <l_s_016_o>-w015.
 max <l_s_016_n>-w016 <l_s_016_o>-w016.

 ADD 16 TO l_increment.

I have went through all the posts in SDN but couldn't find a solution still. Please do not send links of the same.

Kindly advise what needs to be checked.

Thank you.

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Get RSS Feed

4 Answers

  • Nov 07, 2016 at 10:52 PM

    Hi Las,

    GETWA_NOT_ASSIGNED error occur generally when your trying read empty internal table. so please check what is logic in end routine what conditions used to read internal table(RESULT_PACKGAE OR other tables) and adjust accordingly

    Thank you,


    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member

      Hi Nanda, thanks for your response, in the internal table declaration I have added INITIAL size = 0. will this cause any issues? also if possible please advise how to find the exact issue or to locate which internal table not getting filled up? All the tables which I have defined consist of data and couldn't find anything which empty out. Thanks

  • Nov 21, 2016 at 07:00 AM


    Please check note 1980998 if this can help you.



    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Nov 21, 2016 at 07:11 AM

    Read first 2040008 - Short Dumps with Application Component as BW-BEX-OT, then perform the suggested steps for resolution.

    (When a standard program dumps, if you didn't change anything, look always for OSS notes)


    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • avatar image
    Former Member
    Nov 29, 2016 at 12:52 AM

    Thank you all, I managed to find the relevant SAP note in the URL

    This thread will be closed.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded