Skip to Content
author's profile photo Former Member
Former Member

SWF will not load via Label Based Menu w/ Slide Show components

Xcelsius 2008 Engage, 5.1.1.0 (Build 12,1,1,344) - SP1/FP1

MS Office 2007 (12.0.6324.5001) SP1 MSO (12.0.6320.5000)

Windows XP SP2

-


I am using a Label Based Menu with four external SWFs. No matter what I do, one of the four SWFs will not display. The Slide Show component will show its progress indicator, but remains at 100% and the SWF does not load at all. The other three Slide Show Objects display their corresponding SWFs just fine when I invoke them. And when using the exact same copy/pasted URL associated with the "problem" Slide Show Object in my browser, the SWF loads just fine.

Upon further investigation, it appears the behavior is linked to the fact that my Label Based menu is dealing with more than three Slide Show Components. When I limit myself to just three, any three SWFs will load fine using this strategy. When I add a fourth, this problem manifests.

Swapping URLs around proves this. For example, when I paste the SWF URL for Slide Show component #2 (the "problem" component in my situation) into the URL field for Slide Show component #4, the same "problem" SWF will load just fine when the corresponding Label #4 is clicked, but it still does not load under Label #2 that points to the exact same SWF URL. Likewise, when I paste the SWF URL for SWF #4 into the Slide Show component #2, it loads under #4 but not under #2.

Clearly something is happening related to loading four or more SWFs via Slide Show components. This behavior does not appear to exist when I am only working with three Label Based Menu items and Slide Show components.

Is this a known issue and has it been reported to the Development team? Is it on the list for Fix Pack 2? My major project is nearing completion, but this prevents me from moving forward.

Help!

(Thanks!)

Add a comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Related questions

2 Answers

  • author's profile photo Former Member
    Former Member
    Posted on Dec 20, 2008 at 02:26 AM

    One more observation:

    I gave the "child" SWF in question a slightly different name, and updated the name in the URL for the corresponding Slide Show component. After re-exporting the "parent" SWF and loading it in a browser, the problematic Slide Show component progress indicator remains at 0% instead of 100%. All other symptoms were unchanged.

    Next I edited the properties of the Slide Show component, having realized that its Appearance options were slightly different from its sibling Slide Show components. I made all settings the same ("Sizing method: Original Size", aligned to top-left) and now the Slide Show component progress indicator remains at 100% instead of 0%. All other symptoms are still unchanged (other components load just fine, still).

    Interesting variations, perhaps, but very perplexing and frustrating problem!

    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member Former Member

      I just:

      1. Reopened the problem XLF and exported it to SWF again

      2. Replaced the problem SWF with the new SWF I just generated.

      3. Tested the replacement SWF directly (without parent) in browser over web

      4. Launched parent SWF in browser over web

      5. Verified that all SWFs but original problem SWF are functioning as expected. Problem SWF showed 100% on Slide Show component progress indicator, then stayed at 100% without starting initialization.

      6. Deleted problem SWF from web server and refreshed parent SWF in browser (it now had three valid child SWFs, and one menu item pointing to the one I'd just deleted).

      Now when I clicked the Label Based Menu menu item for the problem SWF (that was deleted), the progress indicator for the Slide Show component got stuck at 0% instead of at 100% (no initialization).

      7. Re-uploaded problem SWF to web server

      Now when I clicked the Label Based Menu menu item for the problem SWF (that was deleted, then put back), the progress indicator for the Slide Show component got stuck at 100% instead of at 0% (no initialization).

      Clearly something is happening here that I'm not seeing. The Slide Show progress indicator is telling me that there is an SWF or JPG that was found and is ready to be loaded, but it is not actually being invoked for some unknown reason.

      Ideas?

  • author's profile photo Former Member
    Former Member
    Posted on Dec 22, 2008 at 10:50 PM

    Not being able to wait, I recreated my parent project with two Label Based Menus instead, and seem to have worked around the problem without compromising existing design or functionality. Label Based Menu #1 selects between components on the parent canvas versus three big child Slide Show Component Xcelsius-created SWFs, and the second Label Based Menu also selects between specific content on the parent canvas and one more smaller child Xcelsius-created SWF.

    Still in the dark as to what was happening before, but at least I can move forward at last. Thanks anyway, to whomever might have been trying to reproduce the problem etc.

    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Before answering

You should only submit an answer when you are proposing a solution to the poster's problem. If you want the poster to clarify the question or provide more information, please leave a comment instead, requesting additional details. When answering, please include specifics, such as step-by-step instructions, context for the solution, and links to useful resources. Also, please make sure that you answer complies with our Rules of Engagement.
You must be Logged in to submit an answer.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MB each and 10.5 MB total.