Skip to Content

Strange Case depencies ? on column names

I have a serious issue here, we had a daatbase server go down and when it came up athe application that uses the datbase became very slow. The issue after investigation is that it appears that

For instance if the Table Test has a column named TEXTDATA

Then a select statement select textdata from Test will return approximately 5 times as long as select TEXTDATA from Tests. It appears that the case conversion process is broken

Help, we are in the process of losing a client with this as I have only just identified the issue.

Terry Hastings

Senior DBA

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • I am not able to reproduce this issue with current sa17 against a new database (default initiization options) and a million row table. It is unlikely that this is related to the case of the column name.

    Can you confirm the version and build?

    And if this is urgent, you should pursue this issue with support.

  • Version 11 not certain the build number. , this is the exact conditions. Is there a collaboration or process that the columns are passed through. Case dependancy is switched off on the database.

  • The two timings differences appear as described it is definatly the case triggering it

  • Get RSS Feed

4 Answers

  • May 11 at 02:46 PM

    If something broke in the database file, you may be able to fix it by restoring a backup and applying the subsequent log files.

    If this doesn't work or you don't have a backup, please open a support incident.

    Regards,

    Mike Loop
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    SAP Product Suppor

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • May 12 at 06:08 AM

    That may be the case, Ill see if that's feasibale

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • May 16 at 12:44 AM

    I've rebuilt the database with no change in the result . What I think may be happening is that the network is in someway invloved . Could this be the case

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • May 16 at 12:44 AM

    I've rebuilt the database with no change in the result . What I think may be happening is that the network is in someway invloved . Could this be the case

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded