Skip to Content
avatar image
Former Member

Help with SMTP_E_TCPSOCKET_OPEN(2) error

First off, I must say that the available help sucks... I've searched and searched for an answer to this issue and all the links I found to help get SMTP configured properly all point to old support docs and forums so they are useless now. NOT a fan of the new system at all.

I am using CR Server XI. I have a report I want to email to the boss on a weekly basis. I have my jobserver setup to use SMTP as a destination, with the following setup:

Domain Name: msrealtors.org

Server Name: mail

Port: 587

Authentication: login

SMTP User Name: my smtp username

SMTP Password: my smtp password

I am assuming this is the correct configuration to access mail.msrealtors.org. This is a remote mail server, it's not on the box CR Server is running on. A mail client installed and configured on that machine has no problem sending email using the exact information entered above.

When I set my report to send email to a specific recipient, I get the following error: server error. CrystalEnterprise.Smtp: SMTP_E_TCPSOCKET_OPEN(2)

Any help would be most appreciated.

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Get RSS Feed

1 Answer

  • Best Answer
    Sep 29, 2008 at 10:58 PM

    Hi Michael,

    It sounds like the JobServer is running under LocalSystem. In the Central Configuration Manager, please verify that the Job Server is running under a domain account that local admin rights.

    I don't think it's necessary to put in the UID and password in the configuration. You may also take a step back to troubleshoot with telnet.

    http://www.yuki-onna.co.uk/email/smtp.html

    Regards,

    Wallie

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member Former Member

      I think I tried the FQDN in the server field already, but will try again. I have emailed the support desk at the data center to get ports open for testing.

      Edited by: Mike Delamater on Sep 30, 2008 6:00 PM

      WOOOHOOO!!! I just successfully emailed a test to myself.

      I swear I had tried the FQDN in the server field yesterday and it still failed, but that was before my original post so it must be the combination of what Wallie Cheng and Srinivas Ganapathi suggested.

      Thanks so much to both of you!