Skip to Content
avatar image
Former Member

Connect to message server failed

Hi There,

I'm trying to connect to SAP via the .Net connector but I keep getting the error "Connect to message server failed".

Connect_PM MSHOST=hplaptop, R3NAME=HPL, GROUP=PUBLIC

The error description "service sapmsHPL unknown". I have read many forums and their proposed solutions haven't worked thus far.

Related message server extracts of my saplogon.ini file:

[MSSysName]

Item25=HPL

[MSSrvName]

Item25=hplaptop

[MSSrvPort]

Item25=sapmsHPL

Note: MSSrvName is the server host field as per the parameter display in SMMS.

MSSrvPort is the server service field as per the parameter display in SMMS.

Related message server extracts of my sapmsg.ini file:

[Message Server]

HPL=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Note: The xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in the sapmsg.ini is the server addr field as per the parameter display in SMMS.

Related extract of my services file:

sapmsHPL 3601/tcp

Note: This port number correlates to the server port number per the parameter display in SMMS.

When I remove the MSSysName item in my saplogon.ini file i.e. leave Item25 blank as below I connect no problem.

[MSSysName]

Item25=

I suspect this means that I am not connecting via the message server but directly to the application server I've selected. I would think this is not correct as I think this then does not make use of load balancing should that be setup and I don't think one should have to remove this item from the saplogon.ini file in any case.

Are any of my parameters incorrect? How do I find that service in SAP to see if it should be "known"? I'm not a basis person so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Grant Peterson.

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Get RSS Feed

1 Answer

  • Best Answer
    avatar image
    Former Member
    Sep 15, 2008 at 10:52 AM

    Hi

    SAP note 882741 will probably solve your problem.

    Best regards,

    Sindri

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member

      Hi Sindri,

      Thanks, the info was helpful. It led to another note where I checked my services file to ensure a carriage return after the last entry. After that I received a GROUP does not exist error. I also tried changing my connection type via the logon pad using to a group/server connection which updated my saplogon.ini which now seems to solve the RFC logon!

      hopefully that will be useful to others.

      Regards,

      Grant.