Skip to Content
avatar image
Former Member

Strange characters on report from field overrun

We have a report, created with Cystal Reports 10, that is now giving us an issue. It is displayed via web browser.

When displayed using Crystal Enterprise 10, it looks fine. But when displayed with CR XI r2 JRC, we get strange characters after the field when the field on the report is overrun. The field on the report is not formatted wide enough for all data but this has not been an issue in the past, the overrun just displayed fine.

The display we are getting looks like:

For short data we get:

*TEST

For longer data (overrun) we get:

*TEST1瀲瀀猀

That should have displayed *TEST12.

I think I can get around this by formatting the field wider (I have not tried it yet) but we wanted to know if this was a known issue with a root cause / fix.

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Follow
  • Get RSS Feed

1 Answer

  • Sep 03, 2008 at 03:19 PM

    Hi Douglas,

    - Does this behavior only occur when viewing in a web browser?

    - What do you mean when you refer to 'CR XI r2 JRC'? Do you mean the Java InfoView, a custom Java application, or the Java Report Viewer?

    - If you have Crystal Reports installed on the CRXI R2 server, please test to see if you see the same characters displaying.

    - I would suggest comparing the database driver on the CE10 machine, client desktop where the report was created, and the database driver installed on the Page Server machine.

    If it happens in Crystal Reports designer on the CRXI R2 server, it will happen over the web. I am suspecting the database drivers maybe different.

    Regards,

    Wallie

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member

      - The report is only generated and viewed via the web browser. A web screen takes criteria for the report data, does an SQL call to pull the data into a report table, and then calls the CR report viewer to display the data.

      - JRC is the java Runtime Component. In CR XI, a package is supplied to install as part of the web server for doing the web report viewing withut having to install CR Enterprise.

      - The original .rpt file, the report template, does not have the characters in it nor do they show up in Crystal Reports in any way that I have found to try to test.

      - With using the JRC, there is no CE10 database. As noted above, CR Enterprise is not installed. As for the database that contains the report data table, it is MS SQL Server 200 with all appropriate patches applied.

      I just tested extending the display field to well longer than the data but it did not help. The strange characters are still being displayed.