Skip to Content
0

Upgrading from SAP BI BusinessObjects 4.1 SP7 to BI 4.1 SP11

Mar 26 at 03:27 PM

77

avatar image

I'm upgrading from SAP BI BusinessObjects 4.1 SP7 to the recently released SP11 and I'm having problems. The installation runs through "successfully" but doesn't actually seem to have installed anything. Programs and Features still just lists 4.1 SP7, everything still reports SP7 and there are a number or errors in the install log:

10:26:17.767 Error: Couldn't load library 'TomcatConfig.dll'.  Error code: 127
10:26:17.767 Error: Unable to find function 'StopBOBJTomcat' in library 'TomcatConfig.dll'.
10:26:17.783 Error: unmarshalSizet: curPos past end of string
10:26:17.783 Error: Serialization error.  Expecting at least 1 arg(s).  Got 0.
10:26:17.783 Error: Poco Exception: Software caused connection abort
10:26:17.783 Error: *** Action result: unknown.
10:26:17.956 Error: Couldn't load library 'SIAConfig.dll'.  Error code: 193
10:26:17.956 Error: Unable to find function 'StopSIAService' in library 'SIAConfig.dll'.
10:26:17.987 Error: unmarshalSizet: curPos past end of string
10:26:17.987 Error: Serialization error.  Expecting at least 1 arg(s).  Got 0.
10:26:17.987 Error: Poco Exception: Software caused connection abort
10:26:18.491 Error: Couldn't load library 'InstallFramework.dll'.  Error code: 193
10:26:18.491 Error: Unable to find function 'GetUnifiedSetValues' in library 'InstallFramework.dll'.
10:26:18.506 Error: unmarshalSizet: curPos past end of string
10:26:18.506 Error: Serialization error.  Expecting at least 1 arg(s).  Got 0.
10:26:18.506 Error: Poco Exception: Software caused connection abort

I initially thought I had forgotten to run the install as Administrator but this was not the case. Running the install again "uninstalls" SP11.

I have found this: https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2543955

Which indicates there is an installation change around SP10 which is possibly causing the issues? I did successfully upgrade a separate server from SP7->SP10->SP11 but thought a straight jump to SP11 should be possible?

Any help?

(NB: Windows Server 2012R2).

4.1 | sp11
10 |10000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded
* Please Login or Register to Answer, Follow or Comment.

2 Answers

Best Answer
Dan Densley Apr 06 at 03:29 PM
0

Update. Our support via a SAP Gold partner suggested the error was due to Tomcat not running during install, to restore from back-up and try again. I didn't have any confidence this would actually change anything, the errors do not look like issues with Tomcat not running and installs have run fine previously without Tomcat running.

So after restoring from back-up I have proceeded via the route which worked on our Upgrade system tests. I.e. Go from 4.1SP7 to SP10 first and then straight on to SP11. Both SP10 and SP11 have installed correctly. (NB: Tomcat was running and just CMS + IFR/OFR Servers).

Show 2 Share
10 |10000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

I'm surprised by that response from SAP support. Tomcat running/not running has nothing to do with install process.
Install process will start tomcat if it needs to.
If you can send me incident number , I can follow up with the engineer who handled that Incident.

0

Hi Denis,

It's with our supplier so not passed on to SAP support yet - though they can do that when necessary.

The updated install has now unfortunately exhibited a similar problem when I tried to modify the BIP install on our Lumira node.

Our DEV system is made up of two nodes in a cluster, a BIP node which hosts the CMS, Tomcat and all the relevant BIP services and a Lumira Node for the Lumira Services. For Lumira Server 1.31 this is just a LumiraServer, AdaptiveJobServer and AdaptiveProcessingServer.

The upgrade process I followed was:
(Initial installation 4.1SP07 + Lumira Server 1.31.8)

1. Upgrade Install Server 4.1SP10 on BIP Server
2. Upgrade Expand Install Server 4.1SP10 on Lumira Server
3. Upgrade Install Server 4.1SP11 on BIP Server
4. Upgrade Expand Install Server 4.1SP11 on Lumira Server
5. Upgrade Install Lumira Server 2.1SP0 on Lumira Server
6. Upgrade Install Lumira Server 2.1SP0 on BIP Server

This was all successful. However a post upgrade configuration task was to add the "Adaptive Connectivity Service" to the APS on the Lumira Node - as per SAP Lumira Admin Guide 5.3.3. This is for Designer documents to run correctly.

I ran through a Modify of the base BIP install via programs and features and this appeared to run correctly - however similar errors to my original post were reported in the ErrorsAndWarnings file and the additional components failed to install correctly.

I have passed this additional information back to our support contact. I also passed on the note you highlighted which has a similar problem and I would guess a similar cause. Lumira installations overwriting newer files and causing future updates to fail.

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2618308

Solution is unfortunately "This issue has been forwarded to development for further investigation."

0
Denis Konovalov
Mar 26 at 03:36 PM
2

that KBA deals with UNINSTALLS, but you're seeing those errors while INSTALLING upgrade.
This means the KBA shouldn't apply.
The Note 2618308 could be related instead.

This sounds like something that should be looked by SAP, so incident under BI-BIP-INS would be the right way to go.

Show 1 Share
10 |10000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Thanks Denis. I've raised a support call through our supplier. The note you referenced could be related. We do have some elements of SAP Lumira, server for BI Platform installed on the server as well (though the main Lumira Server components are on a separate node in the two node cluster). This includes 1.29, 1.31 and 1.31.8. This may be causing an issue similar to that note.

1