Skip to Content
avatar image
Former Member

Database Vendor Code 208 after moving report to server

Hello All,

I am using CR 2008. The database environment is SQL Server 2000. I have written several reports, connecting via ODBC, which work fine. All reports are viewed from a VB.NET app. My latest report works on my development box, but when I migrate it to the server, the viewer throws an error on the NEW report: Failed to retrieve data from the database Database Vendor Code 208.

At first, I thought this was going to be caused by the fact that the ODBC connection is pointing to MyDatabase, and the production database does not yet contain the new tables I created, so I changed the DSN to point to MyDatabase_DEV, which does have my new tables.

The query works in Query Analyzer. I have no idea what Database Vendor Code 208 means, so I'm not even sure where to look to find the problem.

On the VB side, I am instantiating the Report Viewer with the same code I use for my other reports. That being said, it works on my computer, but not the server. Every other report works as expected

Any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Get RSS Feed

1 Answer

  • Aug 22, 2008 at 02:46 PM

    The Database Vendor Code is the error code returned by the RDBM, in your case SQL Server.

    You can Google for the SQL Server Error 208, to get the info.

    One note - Crystal fully qualifies Table names in the SQL it sends to RDBMs, so if the fully-qualified name for the Table differs between dev and prod, you'd get errors.

    Sincerely,

    Ted Ueda

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member

      Ted,

      The updated DEV database on the server is a DTS-created copy of what is on my workstation.

      You got me looking in the right direction, though, with the understanding that 208 is referring to the inability to find a referenced object.

      Turns out that the database to which I was pointing in my DSN was being overridden by the Crystal object model code.

      In other words, in the DSN configuration I had changed the default database to mydatabase_DEV. However, when I instantiate the report viewer, the VB code was

                  With crConnectionInfo
                      .ServerName = "MyDSNName"
                      .DatabaseName = "MyDatabase"
                      .UserID = "myID"
                      .Password = "Mypassword"
                  End With 

      Changing the code to this got rid of the error and allowed the report to run:

                  With crConnectionInfo
                      .ServerName = "MyDSNName"
                      .DatabaseName = "MyDatabase_Dev"
                      .UserID = "sa"
                      .Password = "Echoice_496"
                  End With 

      Now all I have to do is remember to pull the _DEV out when I finish the app.

      Thanks for the help.