Skip to Content
avatar image
Former Member

Crystal Report to adobe pdf - font issue

I've searched in vain, off and on for several months, and still haven't found anyone else with this issue. Resolutions to similar issues aren't working for me or simply don't apply.

I have a web application written in Visual Studio.Net 2012 (C#/ASP.Net). The application pulls a small set of data from an Oracle table, and then uses Crystal Reports to throw that data onto a report page that is displayed by Adobe Acrobat within the browser. The Users then print out the individual Adobe Acrobat page as a 'coupon', and physically scans it into our document scanning system. This document scanning system DEMANDS a particular font, and here's the issue...Currently, the app is running in our production environment, and our User Acceptance Testing (UATest) environment. The Adobe Acrobat page is displaying a different font set for each web environment. On UATest, everything is displaying as it should. The font is OCR A Extended. It's a monospaced font that resembles the old Courier style. On our production system, it's displaying what looks like Arial? Microsoft Sans Serif? I have no idea, but whatever it is, our scanning system doesn't like it and won't accept it.

The situation is what it is. I can't alter the river flow at this point. That means I'm stuck with the current methodology. Automating the process so that the data goes from website into the data tables on the scanner would be ideal, but that's not possible.

Here's the technical stuff...

* The two web servers are both Windows Server 2012/R2.

* The IIS setup is identical for both applications on both web servers.

* I've synchronized all of the fonts and font settings on both web servers. They are exactly the same number and files for fonts on both machines.

* The application is internal to our department, and access to it is controlled through Active Directory. Not sure if that matters for this, but better to have too much info than not enough.

* The applications are identical, meaning that I've copied the entire application folder from the UATest machine where it displays the proper font, onto the Production machine where it doesn't.

* The font is set correctly and shows correctly in the Crystal Report creator on the development machine (my local machine used to code, compile, and deploy the app).

* The results are the same regardless of the browser used.

* I've gone into the Crystal Report, Right Clicked -> Design -> Default Settings -> Fonts Tab. And then set the default fonts to OCR A Extended for each possible object.

At this point, I've got my Users running the app from the UATest server. Not the most ideal solution, but it will have to hold until I find the fix for this.

Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Former Member

    Problem resolved. The fonts didn't/wont take effect on the web server until a restart is performed. Did one last night and the new Font is showing up like it should.

  • Get RSS Feed

5 Answers

  • Best Answer
    avatar image
    Former Member
    Mar 16 at 03:30 PM

    Problem resolved. The fonts didn't/wont take effect on the web server until a restart is performed. Did one last night and the new Font is showing up like it should.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Mar 14 at 10:06 AM

    Make sure the default printer on the "bad" server is same as default printer on the "good" one.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member

      Problem resolved. The fonts didn't/wont take effect on the web server until a restart is performed. Did one last night and the new Font is showing up like it should.

  • Mar 13 at 04:38 PM

    Hi Daniel,

    Use ProcesssMonitor and see where it's loading the fonts from and if they are the same, compare between UAT and Production servers.

    Also, I've seen this before, even though the fonts have the same name they don't always work the same way from OS to OS. More so in the 2000 to 2003 and Windows 7 and XP days but there can be differences.

    And CR supports True Type fonts, is your version TTF?

    Don

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • avatar image
    Former Member
    Mar 16 at 01:39 PM

    Thank you both for your responses.

    Ido Millet , neither server has a default printer selected.

    Don Williams , I haven't looked at the Process Monitor, but both servers are running Windows 2012/R2 and are set up the same. And I personally copied each of the font files onto both machines so that they're duplicated.

    One thing I haven't tried yet....Restarted the production server. I've been told that sometimes the fonts won't become available until the server is restarted. I've scheduled a restart after end of business today and I'm hoping that simple trick solves the issue.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Mar 16 at 01:42 PM

    CR is very dependent on printer drivers, you should install the printers the reports were designed against. And be sure to check on Dissociate in the Page Setup menu.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded