Skip to Content
avatar image
Former Member

BI Support tool - Unknown error when creating a BI Applications report

When creating a BI Applications report in a distributed environment it fails with an unknown error and advises to check the logs.

I can't find the logs - are they on the client or on the CMS server?

How can I find more details on why it has failed?

I have run this report successfully on a non-distributed environment.

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Get RSS Feed

3 Answers

  • Feb 22 at 05:23 PM

    Hi Stephen,

    Thanks for reporting the problem. The tracelog for BIPST will be located on the client in the BIPST install directory under /BISupport/bin/logging. To enable verbose tracing, refer to:

    https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/9.+Preferences#id-9.Preferences-BIPlatformSupportTooltracing

    Please attach the traces to this post or you can send them to toby.johnston@sap.com

    We will look into the issue asap (we have a patch being released very soon so if it requires a fix we can get it in 2.1 Patch 1)

    Cheers
    Toby

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Feb 23 at 12:35 AM

    Hi Stephen,

    If you're running 4.0 and 4.1 there is a known issue with the BI Applications report. This is fixed in Patch 1 which is coming out next week.

    https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/2.1.1+Release+Notes

    -----------------------------------------------

    NullPointerException in BI Applications report when ran against BI Platform 4.0 and BI Platform 4.1

    -----------------------------------------------

    The NPE wasn't getting logged previously. The report displayed a tab for BIApplications but it was empty, along with a couple ui popup errors. This shows the errors at extraction time:

    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.sap.ps.bitool.data.BIServerAdmin.dumpOpenDocApplication(BIServerAdmin.java:1510)
    at com.sap.ps.bitool.data.BIServerAdmin.dumpBIApplications(BIServerAdmin.java:670)
    at com.sap.ps.bitool.data.ApplicationsExtractor.run(ApplicationsExtractor.java:42)
    at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:119)

    If you aren't running 4.0 or 4.1, please feel free to send me the tracelog for further investigation.

    Thanks
    Toby

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • avatar image
    Former Member
    Feb 23 at 04:44 PM

    Hi Toby and thanks for the reply.

    I'm running 4.2 SP04 patch 5 at present and emailed the trace to you - hope this helps. As described in your most recent post I get the BI Applications tab but it is empty.

    thanks

    Steve

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Thanks Stephen! It definitely helps. I could try to catch the issue bzsed on the stack trace but it would be best if I could reproduce your issue in my Eclipse. I sent you an email asking for the data XML that was generated. If you could email that to me, I'll get a fix into the next patch.

      Cheers
      Toby