we have NW2004s dual stack ABAP and JAVA and we want to upgrade the kernel. ABAP is non unicode
1. Since ABAP is unicode I guess we have to apply a unicode kernel. But where we are confused is that JAVA is always unicode
2. In the system there are several directories containing kernel binaries
Why do we have a uc and nuc directories since our ABAP is non unicode ?
We are familiar with ABAP kernel but what is a JAVA kernel what binaries it contains ?
3. Is kernel update can update also the config tool or visual admin ? or theses components are never updated ?
4. If we decide to update the kernel manuall can we just extarct the non unicode kernel to /sapmnt/P81/exe ?
5. If we use JSPM to update the kernel does it stops ABAP instances or only JAVA instances ?
Thak you for your help.