Skip to Content

BW Queries mysteriously disappearing

Hi All.

We are using BW4HANA and BPC11.

For the second time this month, we have found that all of our custom BW Queries have mysteriously disappeared. Every other object seems to be fine. All of the Queries were local $TMP objects. The only Queries remaining are in the 2* namespace. The Queries were built on Aggregation Levels, on top of a Composite Provider. I have never come across dozens of queries simply disappearing in the middle of the day before.

In addition, the BW-IP style Planning Filters under the Aggregation Levels, as well as all Characteristic Variables created in those queries have disappeared. They still show up with a corrupted name if you try to re-use them, although they cannot be actually used.

The logs in SLG1 do not appear to point to any deletion jobs or activity that would explain this.

I am using version 2.3.27 of HANA Studio and version 1.18.20 of the BW Modelling Tools. Everything else in the system seems to be behaving normally.

Has anybody seen anything like this before? Could anybody suggest why BW Queries might mysteriously disappear?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,


bw4hana-error.png (26.2 kB)
Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Get RSS Feed

3 Answers

  • Best Answer
    Nov 22, 2017 at 01:36 PM

    Hi Elliott,

    This issue was verified, and SAP dev team prepared a fix for this issue.
    Please apply the SAP Note "2558026".

    Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Thanks John.

      We applied note 2558026, and it seems to have fixed the issue.

      Just one follow-up question: In SLG1 logs, the deletion activity still appears with a Object Text of "BW Repository" and Subobject Text of "Install Business Content". Is this expected for deleting a BPC Model?

      Kind Regards,


  • Nov 21, 2017 at 12:09 AM

    This appears to be a serious system bug. After this mysterious deletion event, I also found that I was getting some new error messages about the 0DAT component, which should just be a standard Query Variable installed with BI Content. This thread discusses it a little.

    The SLG1 log did point to something strange. An activity to simply delete an old, unused BPC Model in the Web Front-end was giving a description of "Install BI Content". To test if this was related, I created a new BW Query and Global Filter under a random aggregation level:


    Then created and deleted a new BPC Model, based off a completely unrelated composite provider:

    And sure enough, my query and filter have been deleted.


    The log in SLG1 points to the deletion being interpreted as an "Install BI Content" event. As far as I can tell, this seems to be a bug, and a serious one at that.

    I will be raising a note to SAP. For reference, we are on BPC4HANA SP2, BW4HANA SP3, HANA Rev 122.

    I hope this gets to other people before it's too late and they end up ruining their system content like we did.



    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Nov 21, 2017 at 05:39 PM

    did you apply any support packages in the Backend?
    It can happen that the MetaData search is invalidated. Make sure the search is up to date
    The Document works for BW on and for HANA - SAP First Guidance – complete functional scope (CFS) for SAP BW 7.50

    Best Regards Roland

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Hi Roland,

      Thanks for your suggestion.

      No support packages applied recently.
      This does not appear to be a simple metadata search issue in the back end. Even when connecting with a tool such as Analysis for Office, and selecting from the list of all queries, or going into the Netweaver Transport Connector in RSA1, it seems the Queries have actually been deleted.

      Kind Regards