Skip to Content

Dates for old questions in Google search

Nov 08, 2017 at 06:09 PM


avatar image

Was searching in Google today and was surprised it found several posts dated October 2016. But when I opened them (exhibit A), they were actually old 2009 questions. There is no visible sign of update after 2009, so I'm wondering what gives?

I guess this has something to do with moving old stuff to Archive, but then only some posts have a wrong date, many others correctly show earlier dates.

Unfortunately, this seriously skews the Google search results as I always look for newer posts when it comes to ABAP questions. What was true in 2009 is sometimes no longer valid in 2017.

image.jpg (69.7 kB)
10 |10000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Not sure who can best address this one. Let me look into it...


Just following up on the old question. I'm still seeing the same effect - the dates shown in a simple Google search are incorrect.

Has anyone looked into this? Is this a problem with Google?

* Please Login or Register to Answer, Follow or Comment.

2 Answers

Lucas Costa Nov 09, 2017 at 11:13 PM

Wow this is concerning.. especially because I guess most people rather use google as search engine for SCN related stuff than SCN search itself.

My modus operandi is always google... subject.... +

And just adding to your findings, when you include the date filter those results do not come up.

capture.png (48.1 kB)
capture.png (56.3 kB)
Show 1 Share
10 |10000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

I do the same thing, that's why it was alarming. I don't use SCN search because Google is faster and easier. Also if I don't find anything with "site" addition, I just remove it to search elsewhere on the same screen. It's much more efficient IMHO.

Veselina Peykova
Nov 10, 2017 at 09:02 AM

No an expert on the topic (I rarely use Google for searching), but there is a difference in displayed dates for the same discussions depending on the usage of site: operator.

Without site: operator:

With site: operator:

The discussion that I marked is:

From what I see the last update was on June, 30, 2016.

I found an old discussion on the topic - Google Shows the Indexing Date for Each Search Result, where some noted that the feature had some flaws. Who knows, maybe this date display is still a problem.

If this is a problem with Google itself I doubt that there is much that the IT team could do about it.

nositeop.jpg (243.8 kB)
siteop.jpg (569.8 kB)
Show 1 Share
10 |10000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Interesting... I was wondering if this was some new problem because I didn't notice this before. But this might as well be because 95% of the time I search with

Thanks for finding this!