Skip to Content
author's profile photo Former Member
Former Member

Changes To Advanced Search Fields / Customize Display Are Being Lost

Hi,

We're trying to figureout why our user specific changes in the UI are getting lost after we access the MDM catalog from SRM. This is occuring in a SRM 5.0 and MDM 2.0 system.

If we add an extra field to the 'Customize Display' and/or 'Advanced Search Fields' sections, the system lets us save the changes. Leave the UI and then return back to the UI, the added fields are still there.

Access catalog via SRM, the added information is not displayed and then if we log back into the UI, the added fields are no longer there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

Add a comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Related questions

3 Answers

  • Best Answer
    author's profile photo Former Member
    Former Member
    Posted on Jan 16, 2008 at 06:22 AM

    Hi Jerry,

    Just go to in UI and there you will find "user" dropdown list in "User-Specific Configuration".Just select a perticular user then go to in customize display tab and add the fields which you want to add in advance search and save the configuration as per the user which you select and try to access the SRM-MDM Catalog from the SRM (EBP) by using the user which you have configured and check as per you setting which you have configured in UI.

    However, if it is not working then just undeploy the Search UI file on WAS and deploy it again.

    Just try with it.

    Hope this will help you.

    Regards,

    Saurabh

    Reward with points if found helpful.

    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • author's profile photo Former Member
    Former Member
    Posted on Jan 16, 2008 at 06:38 AM

    Hi Jerry,

    The problem which u are facing might arise due to inappropriate Codename given to the Fields in Console.

    Check wether code name for the fields are given or not??

    Hope dis helps u

    Regards Tejas.........

    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • author's profile photo Former Member
    Former Member
    Posted on Jan 29, 2008 at 05:09 AM

    Hi,

    We were using the MDM 1.0 URL instead of the MDM 2.0 URL to the MDM UI. As soon as we changed, the problem was solved,

    Jerry

    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Before answering

You should only submit an answer when you are proposing a solution to the poster's problem. If you want the poster to clarify the question or provide more information, please leave a comment instead, requesting additional details. When answering, please include specifics, such as step-by-step instructions, context for the solution, and links to useful resources. Also, please make sure that you answer complies with our Rules of Engagement.
You must be Logged in to submit an answer.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MB each and 10.5 MB total.