Skip to Content

Lgon failed. Unexpected error from external database driver

After a Windows 10 update I had errors running reports. I use Excel 2003 files and Crystal 2008 on a standalone PC.

So I took the opportunity to install Crystal 2016. A new install (though the original is still on the PC.

I get the same error - whether connecting to an existing file or a new one (.xls and .xlsx).

"Logon failed.

Details DAO Error Code 0xccb.

Source DAO Workspace.

Description: Unexpected error from external database driver (1)."

I am not an IT professional, but have used Crystal for years.

Any simple to understand advice would be very welcome as I have just spent a LOT of money on the upgrade.

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Get RSS Feed

7 Answers

  • Best Answer
    avatar image
    Former Member
    Oct 13, 2017 at 02:11 PM

    Hello Kathleen,

    Make sure that you uninstall the Microsoft Update KB4041676 from your Computer, restart and everything should be ok. I had exactly the same issue with you. Have in mind that if you are using WSUS server for updates within your organization you need to decline the update from WSUS on your computer because after restart the update will simply be re-installed automatically on your computer.

    If you are not using WSUS then everything should be just fine.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Oct 13, 2017 at 02:12 PM
    -1

    We are having simular problems - it seems that a recent microsoft security patch has caused the issue.

    Try uninstalling windows security update KB4041676 and try connecting the excel spreadsheet again - this worked for us.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • avatar image
    Former Member
    Oct 23, 2017 at 05:28 PM
    -1

    I also got this error in Crystal, with an Excel file source. However, what worked for me, was to just open the Excel file (in .xls format) and save it as a newer .xlsx format. Then I pointed the crystal report to the .xlsx file and the error went away. I see that the .xlsx format did not work for you, so I'm assuming there are other factors involved, but I just wanted to mention that it worked for me. I'm on Windows 7, with Office 365 / 2016, and Crystal Reports 2013.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member

      Nick I tried your solution but when I saved the excel file as an .xls, I couldn't see it to re-attach to report because my Drivers only go up to 8.0. It would only pull .xls files up.

  • Oct 13, 2017 at 02:18 PM

    So far, Crystal Reports Developers have the same solution - uninstall the following patches:

    KB4041681 on Windows 7

    KB4041676 on Windows 10

    It is Microsoft issue and affected not only Crystal Reports.
    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • avatar image
    Former Member
    Oct 16, 2017 at 06:50 PM

    Uninstalling KB4041681 did not work for us.

    The problem patch updated the Excel Jet connector from V4.00.9801.0 to 4.00.9801.1

    We restored the old dll file "msexcl40.dll" to a new directory C:\Windows\SysWOW64\exceldriver\ and then updated the registry key HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsift\Jet\4.0\Engines\ExcelWin32 value from C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ toC:\Windows\SysWow64\exceldriver\

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Hi there

      We found that if we uninstalled two patches;

      KB4041678 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4041678/windows-7-update-kb4041678

      KB4041681 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4041681/windows-7-update-kb4041681

      Then the system worked ok.

      We haven't tried the updating the registry key and changing the msexcl40.dll file yet

      The issue for us is that these are generic Windows updates and will automatically be reinstalled again next month - so I need to find a permanent fix for this.

      I read in the patch notes that this is a recognised issue ... SymptomWorkaroundInstalling this update may cause applications based on the Microsoft JET Database Engine (Microsoft Access 2007 and older or non-Microsoft applications) to fail when creating or opening Microsoft Excel .xls files. The error message is, “Unexpected error from external database driver (1). (Microsoft JET Database Engine)".Download and install the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable, and then modify the DB connection strings in Microsoft Excel to use ACE as a provider. Example: Change Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 to Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0.

      Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

  • Nov 02, 2017 at 04:01 AM

    Just found this on the BO support site a few minutes ago -

    https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2548907

    The solution suggested in OLEDB drivers.
    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Nov 18, 2017 at 12:59 AM

    Windows latest security patch is out yesterday 17 Nov 2017.

    After installing it issue resolved.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded