In our company, we have two separate mail systems, one for internal mail, and one for external (SMTP) mail. 90% of corporate users have a SAP login, the total number is about 100, the volume is not high, the GUI is Windows SAP GUI.
I am evaluating a scenario with the internal mail operated through the SAP functions (Office Workplace), leaving the external mail on a separate system, or - perhaps - allowing SAP to send mail to external recipients through a SMTP gateway.
The usage of the SAP mail system could be:
- mail messages
- messages with linked SAP objects
- agenda and meeting management
in future, integration with workflow.
In my view:
- decrease costs: I don't have to pay for maintenance of the internal mail system (hw/sw/support)
- better integration with SAP objects and SAP workflow
- I can (perhaps) use the same client also for sending external messages (in future also fax)
- less security concerns
- more space required on DB (but we have a low mail volume)
- the user interface maybe less appealing and integrated with the windows environment
I would like to share opinions and experiences on this. I will post the same questions also in other forums that I believe relevant.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.