Skip to Content
avatar image
Former Member

Problem connecting from Crystal Reports 2013 to Oracle database

We recently installed Crystal Reports v.2013 (BI 4.1, SP2) in our RedHat Linux 6 VM. We used an external Oracle 12c database for the CMS data and installed 64-bit Oracle client [full] for that. We followed this guide for the installation procedure. Everything seemed to be OK and we could access the CMC and see all servers up and running.

But this happiness is only until one of the reports developer published a report to the system and the report failed. This report uses a different Oracle database, actually hosted on a RAC cluster. Going by this support ticket and a host of others we found, we also installed the 32-bit Oracle 12c client [full]. But the report still failed obviously because the server process could not resolve the right client/driver. We verified that the database is reachable using telnet, tnsping and sqlplus.

So now that we have 2 different Oracle clients, we had to make sure the right client/driver is used by the right service. And so we followed this suggestion and created 32- bit environment variables and when we exported them the ProcessingServer and ReportsApplicationServer processes refuse to startup. error-message.jpgrpt-db-config.jpg

Searching around we found that there is something called a DataDirect wire driver that can be used instead of an Oracle client and we have no clue on how to set this up. In addition we also realized that different people suggested different solutions for this same issue and none of them work for us (Look here and here).

We saw that Crystal Reports generates quite a few logs and unfortunately none of them proved to be of use when it comes to pinpointing what exactly is going wrong. It might as well be that the report we published has incomplete database information but we would expect some kind of a direction to fix this issue from the logs or support forums, which we failed to find so far, after a week of trying almost everything. Also we update the CRConfig.xml as suggested here to have the Oracle driver path included in the Classpath section.

I attached here the report's database configuration, the error message we receive when trying to view the report (I tried to attach error messages from various log files, which are really not informative, but the ticket does not allow me to upload saying I can only upload 2 attachments)

What we really expect is a simple, working, step-by-step procedure that we can follow and eventually be able to view a report using Oracle database. Also please feel free to ask any question that might help you help us arrive at the solution.

error-message.jpg (29.1 kB)
rpt-db-config.jpg (80.1 kB)
Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Get RSS Feed

0 Answers