Skip to Content

Testing consumer proxy with external service

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:17 AM


avatar image

Dear experts,

I have a consumer proxy defined for an external web service. Until yesterday the communication was successful. Since then any calls to the methods of the external service hang. Even when I test the consumer proxy via SE80 using the created logical port also the method calls hang. The provider of the external service confirmed that they received no call from SAP.

I used the log facility from SOAMANAGER. For example, the Payload trace for a specific method call shows the following:

Can anyone figure out where is the problem? I forgot to mention that the proxy is consistent.

untitled.png (49.8 kB)
10 |10000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded
* Please Login or Register to Answer, Follow or Comment.

3 Answers

Konstantinos Vassiliadis Aug 30, 2017 at 11:59 AM

After 30 minutes (1800s) the error returned in Soamanager trace is the following

Connection to partner timed out after 1800s.

and the stack trace is the following

Does this mean that the error is within SAP Application Server? And that the problem is not connecting to the external web service? In fact, using web tools outside SAP I can connect

untitled.png (272.2 kB)
10 |10000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded
Konstantinos Vassiliadis Aug 30, 2017 at 12:53 PM

Hello Patrick

I used HttpRequester Firefox extension and performed a GET request successfully

Show 5 Share
10 |10000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Hi Konstantinos,

I was thinking of a test from the actual server your SAP system is running on.




Can you help me regarding your thought? Some guidance...


From within SE80 and Service Consumer test, after 30 minutes it comes up with the message

untitled.png (14.2 kB)

There could be network configuration preventing your SAP system from establishing a connection to the service. Testing the service from your local PC using a tool like HttpRequester will not necessarily detect this as the request is originating from a different machine (your local PC vs the SAP application server).

Somebody with access to the OS level of your SAP system could test the basic connectivity using ping or even send a test request using a test tool like CURL, which would help establish whether from a networking perspective the two systems can talk to each other.


We just tested from application server:

- ping

- RFC destination (via SM59)

In both cases the connection was established successfully. In the second case we also got a response from the target host.

Still the problem persists when testing the consumer proxy.

Patrick Weber Aug 30, 2017 at 12:23 PM

Can you get somebody to try

- pinging the remote server

- invoking the service with a test tool like CURL from the application server of your SAP system

Just to make sure that this isn't a network problem.

10 |10000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded