Skip to Content

Data Services Jobs much slower after migration

Hello community,

we are currently migrating our Data Services Jobs (which are ETL processes for a data warehouse) from DS 3.2 to DS 4.2 SP7.

Most of our jobs didn't work directly after the migration, but we make process in fixing these errors. However, we noticed that our jobs are much slower than before the migration - about 3.5 to 4 times. With this behavior, we get a total runtime for all jobs that isn't acceptable anymore.

The migrated DS runs on a server which has more CPU/memory than the 3.2 one.

I'm aware of the performance optimization guide - but I still have some questions:

1. Is it normal that the jobs are much slower in a new version?

2. Are there any "low hanging fruits" / actions which we should implement first to improve the performance?

3. Are there any tips/ best practices in addition to the performance optimization guide which could be practical?

I would appreciate any help.



Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Hi Marius,

    Has the (default-) package size changed because of the upgrade? As in, data is transferred in 1000 recs per package instead of -say- 5000? In my experience, that makes a huge difference in performance.



  • Hi Eduard,

    where do I have to set the package size / where can I check this setting?



  • Get RSS Feed

2 Answers

  • Mar 02, 2017 at 02:17 PM

    Hi Marius,

    Did the migration succeed properly from DS 3.2 to DS 4.2 SP7? It seems that something went wrong during the upgrade process.

    What is the upgrade scenario which you used? Please refer below link and answer

    As Eduard mentioned, you can try increasing the Rows per commit size under the Target table options from 5000 to 10000

    Also after upgrade process did you do a thorough regression testing of the jobs?


    Arun Sasi

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Mar 02, 2017 at 02:54 PM

    Hi Arun,

    the migration succeeded properly as far as I can say. There was no error when we upgraded the repository.

    At this time, we are currently right in the middle of (regression) testing our jobs - this is why we noticed that they are a lot slower than before. After migration, we had to fix some errors which came up when we executed the jobs. To improve performance, we added join ranks to our data flows, which improved the performance just a little bit.

    We were following the scenario 3 of the article you mentioned. In fact, we added an extra step (after step 8 of the scenario) and exported the .atl file from the upgraded repository and imported it into an new fresh 4.2 repository so that we don't work on an upgraded repository.

    I will try to increase the rows per commit size, but I'm not sure if this will help. Source and target database are the same as before upgrade/migration - if SAP didn't make the data services worse, it has to do something with the server running data services or some settings in the tool...



    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded