Skip to Content

Bug? Notification counter is not displayed

By Notification counter I mean the following areas:

Today I noticed that the number of unread notifications is not displayed anymore for my user.

I have tested with the following browsers: Pale Moon 27.1.0 (32-bit Windows version), Firefox ESR 45.7.0 (Windows), IE11, Google Chrome Portable 55.0.2883.87 - in none of them I can see currently the number of unread notifications (I have 3 unread notifications in the activity stream at the moment).

Could somebody verify this with a different user/OS browser combination?

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Just tested number of cases and:

    "New" means - since last refresh of the Notifications page (

    This refresh can be done by refresh of already opened Notifications page or by opening Notification page using link. Notification page refresh will clear yellow notification.

    Also yellow notification will not be shown automatically if you get a new notification, current page refresh is required.

    Not clear how it's related to the Community member's ideas...

  • I think I like the new behavior, just not the way it was (not) communicated - would have expected a blog about it on tag "". (Even a small one, maybe just pointing to the Coffee-Corner-discussion-comment, would have been fine; it should just have been a new Blog in order to show up in my RSS-Client!)



  • It appears, that now the behavior was adjusted again - previously I was getting different results on the number of unread notifications, depending on which page I have opened - e.g. question display = 5, tagged page = 20 (tagged page was opened after opening the question detail). Now this is consistent. In addition, now I see that if I mark a notification as unread, the counter displays the correct value. You need to refresh the activity stream page for a counter to get updated, but the behavior is consistent. I am OK with what I see now.

    Yes, it would have been nice to have such changes communicated and avoid confusion (before posting I searched for updates in the wiki and for Jerry's blogs, just not in the Coffee Corner).

    Update: aaand now the behaviour was changed again... I have no other logical explanation why yesterday I saw a different behaviour, than that this is the actual QA system.

3 Answers

  • Best Answer
    Posted on Feb 14, 2017 at 05:13 PM

    Hi Veselina,

    It's not a bug, it's a feature - please read at the end:

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • And the fun part is, that before I clicked to see your latest comment, I opened a link of content by tag (at this stage my user is displayed as not logged on... different story). When I clicked on my profile link for the SSO (Sometimes Signed On) to trigger, I saw 8 unread notifications (which is the actual number of unread notifications, that I have at present), then upon page refreshed I saw 1 unread notification. It will be funny if you leave Activity Stream open for a while, your session expires and the page gets refreshed after you click on the popup. It will probably clear all unread notifications...

      Usually the practice when applying partial fixes is to deploy them at a time, in a sequence and in a way, which does not break the current functionality. #justmy2cents

  • Posted on Feb 14, 2017 at 04:41 PM

    Interesting! Just tested:

    I am able to see new notifications and I am able to mark as read the new notifications.

    But when I marked number of my old notifications as unread - the counter is missing.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Posted on Feb 14, 2017 at 04:49 PM

    Thank you Veselina for posting this, I have this bug too and was hesitating to post it here - Vadim knows why ;). I am MacOS Sierra and Google Chrome.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded