Skip to Content

ABAP Development Tools in Eclipse: SQL Console no longer functions

Recently, after updating to ABAP Core Development Tools (Developer Edition) 3.4.5, I find that SQL Console no longer functions for me with any of my system connections. Specifically the error I get when trying to use SQL Console is "Failed to create the part's controls" with a Java exception (see attachment: eclipse-adt-error.txt). Curiously Data Preview works fine (and I discovered while writing this question that I can click the SQL Console button on a data preview to open it successfully), I'm just not able to open the SQL Console via the contextual menu on the system connection (Eclipse project).

This has persisted as I've tried recreating my Eclipse environment fresh, updating my SAP GUI, and now as I've updated to ABAP Core Development Tools (Developer Edition) 3.6.0.

It would appear this is an error with some aspect of the UI elements for SQL Console being missing so I would think that someone else would have noticed by now but I've not found anything about this here or within

Details about my system:

  • macOS 10.15 (though I started on 10.14.x)
  • SAP Machine 13 (openjdk 13 2019-09-18; OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 13+33-sapmachine); OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 13+33-sapmachine, mixed mode, sharing))
  • OpenJFX 13 (13.0.1)
  • SAP GUI for Java 7.50r8 (SAP GUI for Java 7.50 rev 8; Version ID 075000040800;) (though I started on rev 6 and tested 7 as well)
  • Eclipse 2019-09 (4.13; Build id: I20190916-1045)

Does anyone have expertise on what I can do? Should I submit this as a bug to SAP? If so, how? I can't do so through Eclipse as the bug report tool there doesn't complete. I can't readily find the product/component in to submit an incident. I don't see that ADT is out on either.

Add a comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Related questions

2 Answers

  • Best Answer
    Posted on Nov 01, 2019 at 08:17 AM

    Hi Errol,

    Please see the following article, it concerns the same problem:

    I've raised an OSS ticket for it in the meantime

    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Posted on Nov 05, 2019 at 09:12 AM

    Hi All,

    Sorry for the delay in providing the patch. This issue is now fixed with the latest update.Can you please update your ADT tools to 3.6.1 version.This contains the fix.

    Thanks and Regards


    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Before answering

You should only submit an answer when you are proposing a solution to the poster's problem. If you want the poster to clarify the question or provide more information, please leave a comment instead, requesting additional details. When answering, please include specifics, such as step-by-step instructions, context for the solution, and links to useful resources. Also, please make sure that you answer complies with our Rules of Engagement.
You must be Logged in to submit an answer.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MB each and 10.5 MB total.