Skip to Content

oracle upgrade 12102 to 18000 non unicode us7ascii character set

I have just upgraded erp6 ehp6 oracle database on window2012r2 from oracle12102 to 18700

the upgrade went well all done no issues, installed 722 ext nonunicode kernel to run with it and SAP will not start.

nls_lang windows setting is america_american.us7ascii

message server starts and runs ok but work processes do not connect failing with

*** ERROR => Env. NLS_LANG='AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8DEC' not compatible to V$NLS_PARAMETERS: 'AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII', connection refused. [dbsloci.c 16089] C *** ERROR => Logging off con=0 because of error 18=DBSL_ERR_CONNECT. [dbsloci.c 2717]

what I dont understand is *** ERROR => Env. NLS_LANG='AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8DEC'

this is not set any where , there is a note referring to this error but my situation is that nls_lang is set to the same and nls_characterset where the note is about a conflict between the nls_lang and database nls settings so I'm missing something.

the registry is the same as the db settings, checked this again and it is AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252 which is what the pre upgrade database had so I'm assuming that to be unchanged

I've downgraded the kernel to 721_ext from 722_ext with no improvement.

is there anyone with experience of this issue, I did not see any reference to changing the database character set as part of the upgrade.

I've opened a call with SAP but he only came up with the same stuff I did , hopefully he'll come back with something else soon or I'll looking at ditching everything for a restore

any input would be appreciated


Add a comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Related questions

2 Answers

  • Posted on Oct 29, 2019 at 08:19 AM

    Hi David.

    Kindly refer the SAP note



    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Posted on Oct 30, 2019 at 02:50 PM

    Thanks for that , I came across that note but it does exactly not fit my issue as all my settings are for us7ascii including nls_lang.

    if however I did follow this note and its inclusions and changed the character set of the development system to we8dec , do I then have to immediately do the same on the upstream systems (i.e. qa and production) which are all us7ascii so I can run transports from development to these systems.

    note 112561 suggests that it is possible to use r3trans in this situation as 'Here it also does not matter if the character sets are different' .

    at the same time it states the character set should be the same across the landscape.

    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Before answering

You should only submit an answer when you are proposing a solution to the poster's problem. If you want the poster to clarify the question or provide more information, please leave a comment instead, requesting additional details. When answering, please include specifics, such as step-by-step instructions, context for the solution, and links to useful resources. Also, please make sure that you answer complies with our Rules of Engagement.
You must be Logged in to submit an answer.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MB each and 10.5 MB total.