Skip to Content

MaxDB 7.6 to 7.9 DBMCLI executable program not accessible

Hi,

I am currently trying to migrate our MaxDB 7.6 system on AIX to MaxDB 7.9 on LINUX. In trying to export the data one of the documents I read said that the LOADER program needed to be on at least the same level as the loader on the target system. I downloaded the MaxDB 7.9 software from SAP marketplace and attempted to upgrade just that component. In doing so it appears that all of the components were upgraded at the same time to 7.9 as well.

At some point I also lost Database Studio connectivity to the database. When trying to connect on the default port it refuses to connect. I tried to start x_server but even though I've specified the default port it still refuses to connect with "Server or DB Unknown message".

I tried to stop the system using the DBMCLI but it only gives me the following message:

executable program not accessible

When I run sdbregview from a working system as well as the faulty system I get the following outputs:

Working system

./sdbregview

Global /sapdb/programs 7.9.08.23

CDB /sapdb/CDB/db 7.9.08.23

CL_SDB /sapdb/clients/SDB 7.9.08.39

SDB /sapdb/SDB/db 7.9.08.23

Faulty system

sdbregview

Global /sapdb/programs 7.9.08.39

Legacy /sapdb/programs 7.6.03.09

CL_MAXDB /sapdb/clients/MAXDB 7.9.08.39

/sapdb/CDB/db /sapdb/CDB/db 7.9.08.39

/sapdb/SDB/db /sapdb/SDB/db 7.9.08.39

It looks like when I ran the upgrade I mistakenly entered the incorrect installation name (should have been SDB instead of /sapdb/SDB/db).

I also made the mistake of not backing up the system before the change.

At this point my only option is to attempt the upgrade of the system again to 7.9 with a full upgrade. The problem is that I cannot even put the database into admin state to perform the upgrade.

Has anyone else encountered this issue before?

Add a comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Assigned Tags

Related questions

2 Answers

  • Posted on Aug 02, 2016 at 06:27 PM

    Hello Brandon,

    It's hard to provide you with any definitive answer here without looking at the system.

    If you are an SAP customer, please open a incident and attach the diagpkg and the upgrade logs to the message. We will look into it.

    Regards, Yashwanth

    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Hi Brandon,

      Yes I remember this incident. You db is in critical state at the moment but usable, and you decided to wait until my colleague is back in the office to help you with the installation. The problem might have caused due to the wrong installation media used to upgrade. Let us know in the incident if you need any help.

      Regards, Yashwanth

  • Posted on Aug 24, 2016 at 07:54 AM

    Hi

    The issue has been resolved. Besides the wrong installation media installed, some of the files were also missing. SAP removed and installed the correct software and reregistered them with the databases. It can now be seen by Database Studio.

    Thank you for your assistance!

    Regards,

    Brandon

    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Before answering

You should only submit an answer when you are proposing a solution to the poster's problem. If you want the poster to clarify the question or provide more information, please leave a comment instead, requesting additional details. When answering, please include specifics, such as step-by-step instructions, context for the solution, and links to useful resources. Also, please make sure that you answer complies with our Rules of Engagement.
You must be Logged in to submit an answer.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MB each and 10.5 MB total.