Skip to Content
author's profile photo Former Member
Former Member

PD 16.5 Proxy - What are the best settings?

Hi Everyone,

I recently upgraded the PowerDesigner landscape within our company from 15.1 to 16.5 PL03. In the course of doing that, we also switched from a direct ODBC connection to our oracle db schema hosting our repository to using the provided PowerDesigner Proxy Server instead.

After the go-live however, we observed the issue that quite frequently the proxy service running on the app server crashes out of nowhere.

Within all documentations and within this forum it always said that it is actually recommended to use the PD Proxy instead of a direct ODBC connection. Now I am asking myself where the promised performance improvements are - well, I even would be happy if it would be running stable at all.

Therefore my question:

Which settings are usually recommended in terms of proxy cache, ODBC settings between app server and oracle db (or any other thing that might be worth pointing out..)?

One potential issue I can cross of the list is that the app server itself should be more than potent enough hardware-wise to host the proxy service.

Thanks in advance for all your feedback - every hint is much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Add a comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Assigned Tags

Related questions

1 Answer

  • Posted on Dec 08, 2015 at 06:27 PM

    Hi Chris,

    We are using SQL Server so I cannot comment on anything ORACLE specific. We started with V16.1 and I too have just completed an upgrade to the latest release. We have always used the proxy without issue. I think the performance gains tend to be more noticeable with a more heavily used installation. Ours does not typically have many users on it concurrently and frankly I have never noticed any significant performance difference between direct and proxy connections (i.e. they both seem to be fine).

    The only changes I made to the standard configuration was to ensure that the directory used for logging & cache was in the same place as the proxy software (i.e. same drive).

    One thing that caused me some problems as I was setting this up was forgetting to make sure I was using the same character set throughout. We have some multilingual content and use 3 bytes/char. Make sure your desktop client, connection profile stuff, and DB are aligned on this. The default in most cases is 1 byte/char and if you are misaligned anywhere, chances are your software will work but then randomly blow up as you start working.

    Hope you get your issues sorted out

    Bruce

    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Before answering

You should only submit an answer when you are proposing a solution to the poster's problem. If you want the poster to clarify the question or provide more information, please leave a comment instead, requesting additional details. When answering, please include specifics, such as step-by-step instructions, context for the solution, and links to useful resources. Also, please make sure that you answer complies with our Rules of Engagement.
You must be Logged in to submit an answer.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MB each and 10.5 MB total.