Skip to Content

Upgrade failed - Unable to start server - libbtsymbols.so could not be loaded.

Dear Experts,

Upgrade from ASE 15.7 SP122 to SP134 on AIX 7.1 was failed and before restoring binaries from OS.

I tried startserver and to my surprise, I got the following error,

exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program /sybase/PJ2/ASE-15_0/bin/dataserver because of the following errors:

        0509-150   Dependent module libbtsymbols.so could not be loaded.

        0509-022 Cannot load module libbtsymbols.so.

        0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.

NO errors found in the ASE error log.

Thanks

Rajesh

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Get RSS Feed

3 Answers

  • Best Answer
    Jun 12, 2015 at 08:04 AM

    Hi Rajesh,

    I would request you to kindly check with the existing binaries and also the devices if they are corrupted or not.

    Best Regards,

    Ankitha

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Hi Ankitha,

      Thanks for those SAP notes and I am aware of them.

      I would really appreciate you if you can get me a workaround to fix the following error and start database server.

      My issue is:

      exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program /sybase/PJ2/ASE-15_0/bin/dataserver because of the following errors:

              0509-150   Dependent module libbtsymbols.so could not be loaded.

              0509-022 Cannot load module libbtsymbols.so.

              0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.

      Regards,

      Rajesh Neemkar.

  • Jun 12, 2015 at 07:49 AM

    Hi Rajesh,

    Could you please attach the ASE error log to check on this.

    Best Regards,

    Ankitha

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Jun 12, 2015 at 11:46 AM

    Thank you Ankitha and Kiran for your support. It helped.

    Resolution:

    --We have copied ASE-15_0/lib and OCS-15_0/lib3p64 from test server, and the database server is now up without any issues.

    --We couldn't find any useful trace in the logs, though - what we did so far is to stop everything, killed all SAP processes, including doing /etc/rc.d/init.d/sapinit stop and cleaning shared memory segments (using cleanipc as sybadm and ipcs -a -m and ipcrm -M as root)

    --It looks like (what used to happen with older ESDs) some process handles kept some files/libraries locked.

    --that is why it is very important to do memory cleaning, or even LPAR restart before database upgrade.

    Regards,

    Rajesh

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • We have started the patch upgrade again …

      sybci1:sybadm 26> saphostctrl -user sapadm <password> -function LiveDatabaseUpdate -dbname XXX-dbtype syb -updatemethod Execute -

      updateoption TASK=UPDATE_ASE -updateoption DROP_LOCATION=/kits/syb134 -updateoption UPDATE_FORCE=1

      Webmethod returned successfully

      Operation ID: 557AFEE2CF160FD0E10080000A03053D

      ----- Response data ----

      UPDATE_ASE=update ASE software ok

      ----- Log messages ----

      Info: saphostcontrol: Executing LiveDatabaseUpdate

      Info: saphostcontrol: LiveDatabaseUpdate successfully executed

      What we did..

      0) before restarting update, killed all hanging db update processes - all SAP and DB actually stopped and cleared, including cleanipc

      and sapinit stopped, and shared memory segments.

      checked with ipcs -a -m

      1) enlarged "/tmp" from 2GB to 6GB (remaining 5+ GB to be on the safe side, same should be checked for /sybase/<SID>, and if max

      memory should be enlarged)

      2) before starting ASE server and backup server (copied from test server):

      cp -pr /kits/syb/lib/* /sybase/PJ2/ASE-15_0/lib/

      cp -pr /kits/syb/lib3p64/* /sybase/PJ2/OCS-15_0/lib3p64/

      3) before starting update as sybadm:

      cd /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe

      setenv PATH ${PATH}:/sybase/PJ2/OCS-15_0-bin

      … previous PATH needed to

      start isql as sybadm (can be even but in db env login script), with -Usapsso:

      sp_locklogin sa, 'unlock'

      go

      4) check login as sa with master pwd, and do:

      rsecssfx put DB_CONNECT/SYB/SAUPDDB_USER sa -plain

      rsecssfx put

      DB_CONNECT/SYB/SAUPDDB_PASSWORD masterpwd…

      follwed by post-installation steps ...