Skip to Content
avatar image
Former Member

Not Showing Retrieval Arguments in Datawindow PB.NET

Hi ,

I have created a simple datawindow in Powerbuilder classic 12.5 build 5609 and I have Imported to Powerbuilder NET same version and build.

When I try to see the retrieval arguments I get the below

As you can see from above the second and third retrieval argument are not showing.

So what I did (anyone would have done this) I retyped them. And of course I got the below

Any ideas ?

Appreciate any help you could give me.

thank you

Capture.PNG (22.5 kB)
Capture1.PNG (27.8 kB)
Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Get RSS Feed

5 Answers

  • Best Answer
    avatar image
    Former Member
    Jan 15, 2015 at 09:35 AM

    Hi to all

    Appreciate everyone for your thoughts and guidance.

    I have downloaded windows update for my 8.1 machine restarted my pc , disabled a touchpad device service and I 'm not getting the error anymore.

    I have opened the Datawindow and all of the arguments are in place and working.

    I don't have an explanation for this.

    But for now I'm good.

    Thanks again for all your support

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Jan 14, 2015 at 01:21 PM

    I have no problems to convert a Classic application into .NET 😭

    I'm using the EAS Demo DB V125 database

    DataWindow is built against EMPLOYEE table. Below the SQL statement

    SELECT employee.emp_fname,

             employee.start_date,

             employee.termination_date,

             employee.emp_lname

        FROM employee

       WHERE ( employee.emp_fname = :arg_fname ) AND

             ( employee.start_date = :arg_start_date ) AND

             ( employee.termination_date = :arg_termination_date ) AND

             ( employee.emp_lname = :arg_lname )


    My OLE db connection from Classic IDE

    The DataWindow Retrieval Argument window from Classic IDE

    The DataWindow Retrieval Argument window from .NET IDE

    Read this url for the error message you get: http://scn.sap.com/thread/3600051

    Usually, this error should happen on both IDEs, so it is strange you only have this problem on the .NET environment...

    Hope this helps

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member

      hi  Jacob.

      In Pb classic is not happening. But in .NET ...

      I'm connecting to an SQL server 2008 R2 64bit and my machine is windows 81 64bit.

      As far as I can read from the posts there isn't any standard solution for this.

      I saw 3-4 different solutions to resolve this.

      I will start disabling processes.

      Anyone from Sysbase ?

      thank you Jacob

  • avatar image
    Former Member
    Jan 14, 2015 at 02:07 PM

    I would upgrade to PB 12.5.1 or later. I think that was an early bug.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • avatar image
    Former Member
    Jan 14, 2015 at 08:35 PM

    Can you move that retrieval arguments window out of the way?   This is a syntax-based datawindow, and we can't see the entire query.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • avatar image
    Former Member
    Jan 14, 2015 at 09:26 PM

    That error is usually caused by some window service.  We seen it with the ActiveIdentity as one such service.  Disabling the service that is causing the issue will usually solve the problem.

    You could also manually edit the datawindow.  For example:

    updatewhere=1 updatekeyinplace=no arguments=(("arg1", string), ("arg2", string)) )

    There is a KBA, 1960715 - PowerBuilder: Adding retrieval argument causes "Column 2
    has an invalid name and/or length " error, but you need a support agreement to see it.  The above is the gist of the article describing and working around the problem.

    HTH

    Ted Zimmerman

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member

      I'm running PB.Net 12.5.2.5629 and have the same problem with the infamous 2nd retrieval argument.

      I've disabled just about every service on my laptop and it still didn't help.  It fixed Classic, but not .Net.