Skip to Content
avatar image
Former Member

R custom component using 'recommenderlab' library returns a general error, works in R - why?

I am trying to run 'recommenderlab' library of R with SAP PA custom component.

I have tested it in many ways - it is a new library, so I thought that maybe it is not keen on those, that haven't been included in the default installation. I found a place, where SAP PA configures stuff what to include in the installation of R and reinstalled but to no avail.

Then I tried another library - seriation - that that had not been included, but this worked, even without being included in SAP PA installation script (I had seriation previously in my local R installation, though). Whereas the recommenderlab library, once I give the first command:  q<-as(mydata, "realRatingMatrix”): which coerces the original SAP data to a realRatingMatrix form with the help of the package, just gives an error.

The SAP PA error message, once I add the row is a general one:

Error, could not find function MyMain.

In the SAP PA logs, I get a more detailed error message:

Error during processing response.: boolean is not a function

The script works fine in my R installation and thus I don't know what to do next?

The script:

mymain <-function(mydata, howmany)




q<-as(mydata, "realRatingMatrix”)

r<- Recommender(q, method = "POPULAR")

recom <- predict(r, q, n = howmany)


res<-cbind(rep(seq_along(l), times=sapply(l, length)), unlist(l))

output <-



Inline image 1

Inline image 2

log file location


installation script location

C:\Program Files\SAP Predictive  Analysis\Desktop\plugins\\resources\R64

The csv data that I am passing to the custom component as mydata

userid productid rating 1 1 2.5 1 2 3.5 1 3 3 1 4 3.5 1 5 2.5 1 6 3 2 1 3 2 2 3.5 2 3 1.5 2 4 5 2 6 3 2 5 3.5 3 1 2.5 3 2 3 3 4 3.5 3 6 4 4 2 3.5 4 3 3 4 6 4.5 4 4 4 4 5 2.5 5 1 3 5 2 4 5 3 2 5 4 3 5 6 3 5 5 2 6 1 3 6 2 4 6 6 3 6 4 5 6 5 3.5 7 2 4.5 7 5 1 7 4 4

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Get RSS Feed

3 Answers

  • Jan 07, 2015 at 12:02 PM

    Hello Jaan,

    The message "cannot find function..." usually means SAP PA did not recognize the R function. In most cases this relates to a typo in the code. If you are sure the R function is valid, please try replacing all the double quotes to a single quote

    So for instance turn this

    q<-as(mydata, "realRatingMatrix”)


    q<-as(mydata, 'realRatingMatrix')

    If you still ge tthe same error message, can you please try to simpflify the function even further to test at which point it starts working.



    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member Andreas Forster

      Hi all,

      I am facing the same issue. I created a recommenderlab algorithm using :custom R Component. However I get this error. "Error from R: Could not find function: mymain"

      I dont know how to check the XML file of the working component.

      Any lights on this please?


      Karthikeyan P

  • avatar image
    Former Member
    Jan 09, 2015 at 03:40 PM

    Hi Jaan,

    I have been struggling with exactly the same problem for a while. A very likely reason for your error is this:

    When you are using PA with R components, PA looks only at specific locations for the liberalisers. If you happen to install the given library (i.e. "recomandable") through R-studio, it is likely that has install the library somewhere else. Good news is that you can specify the exact location where you want your library to be installed. Follow these steps:

    From the PA check the installation path of your R: Go to File> Installation and configuration of R , then click on configuration. Take a note of the R path. Then from R studio (or other IDE) install the package as

    install.packages("recomandable", lib="C:/Users/Public/R-3.1.0/library") replace the path with your own R installation Path. After the installation you should check the subfolder in your R path and you should see a folder named as "recomandable"

    This should hopefully solve your problem. Let me know otherwise.


    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • Former Member Former Member

      Hi all,

      I have updated the attributes master set to none as mentioned above. But still i get the error as "Error could not find "my main".

      Please help

  • Feb 05, 2015 at 09:08 AM

    Interesting topic

    I have worked directly in R for a while before the introduction of SAP PA and one thing you need to be aware of is that the R packages you install quite frequently refer to other R packages to work.

    If you install an R package in R and then subsequently refer to the installed package using the library function you will immediatly see if you need to install more R packages as an error will occur if that is the case.

    So always test the if the R package references are also installed before proceeding - and as also mentioned before the R packages needs to be in the correct folder location

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded