Skip to Content

SAPUI5 page giving trouble in IE9 without developer tools

Hey,

I have been working on a PP cockpit in SAPUI5 that gets its data from a standalone MII server (with some additional transactions that call ECC RFC functions).

All went good and I ended up with e neat looking cockpit with all required functionality (thusfar 🤪).
Today I was testing the cockpit from a terminal where it will be used and ran into a strange problem.

Case 1:

When starting the index page of the cockpit (this is an irpt page).
When starting the irpt page it gets loaded and I can see what I expected to see, however when an action is performed like pushing a button or so it does not work.
For instance: when selecting a production line, the orders for that line should be loaded from MII by using an ajax call.
The ajax call seems to be instantiated as the "beforeSend" action is executed, visualizing a loading gif.
After that nothing seems to happen anymore.

This issue occurs with every ajax call and messes up all the functionalities.

The browser this problem occured with was IE9.
The required <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge"> is present in the head section.

Case 2:

Now for the strange part: when I do exactly the same in the same browser with the developer tools of the browser opened (console, networking etc) it works perfectly.
Now closing the developer tools of the browser again does not affect it to work perfectly.
When the browser is closed and opened again without the developer tools it doesn't work as in the first case.

Does anyone know what the possible problem is and how it can be solved.
I don't want the end user to have to open the developer tools of the browser to make it work 🤪

PS.
It also runs perfectly in any of my PCs browsers FF32, GC37, IE11.
And all tests where performed in a live environment from the MII server, the time of local tests has long passed.

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Follow
  • Get RSS Feed

3 Answers

  • Best Answer
    Sep 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM

    Hi Joery,

    Do you happen to have any console.log (or console.debug, console.error etc.) calls in your code. If there are any, try to remove those. IE9 supports those console calls only when console is open.

    Regards,

    Kimmo

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Sep 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM

    As they say... if there is no console.log, check the "Internet Options" in IE, uncheck "disable script debugging in IE", make sure the devtools are closed and reproduce. Then there should be a popup offering you to start the devtools/debugger. Those should then show you the issue (at least when it is a JS error).

    Regards

    Andreas

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Sep 16, 2014 at 11:21 AM

    Thx all for the replies.

    I have indeed console.log statements in the code that are there mainly for developer purposes (to get feedback on data container contents during the processing flows).

    I could easily turn off all the console.log statements with a global flag that i had put in place to disable the console.log statements when the implementation goes to a productive environment, while still allowing to enable it to help with possible future support.

    Anyway I set the flag to false, thus disabling all the console statement, and it works like a charm.

    I was not aware IE made problems of the console commands when the console is not opened, so thx for bringing this to my attention. 😊

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded