Skip to Content
author's profile photo Former Member
Former Member

No data displayed in E2E Workload graphs (Dashboards)

Dear Experts,

I am stuck in a strange issue and need your expert advise to help me out. Kindly advise.

My solman version is 7.1 SP 10 on Linux, and one of the concerned managed system is ABAP (ECC 6.0 EHP 6).

The issue is that when I navigate to Tx: Solman_workcenter-->Root Cause Analysis-->End-to-End Analysis-->Select a system and perform the "Workload Analysis", I see no data.

More strange is that, this issue is only appearing for ABAP systems, but data is completely visible for JAVA statck or Standalone JAVA managed systems. I have searched and tried to perform almost everything as per various OSS Notes and SCN posts, but no help. 😊

Points which can help analysis:

1. All prior steps are error free and BI Cont is active.

2. There are data available in E2E_EFWK_STATUS and E2E_EFWK_STATUS, which means, workload data is getting populated correctly.

3. 0SMD_PE2H cube also contains correct data for the managed system, which means, workload data is getting populated correctly.

4. E2E EFWK HOUSEKEEPING and EFWK RESOURCE MANAGER jobs are running properly.

Thanks,

Avishek

Add a comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Related questions

4 Answers

  • Best Answer
    author's profile photo Former Member
    Former Member
    Posted on Jan 10, 2014 at 06:12 AM

    Dear All,

    Thanks Billy, Ashu and Sneha, for those really helpful advice, which probably has given me the impetus to trace out the root cause of the issue which is now solved. Hence, marked your posts "helpful" as it can help others stuck on same bush. 😊

    Issue was due to the following reasons:

    1. The primary issue: The Wily service was in HANGED status due to overload. I discovered that few moments before replying to the post last night. Restarted the service and the data came in to Wily (screenshot I provided in my earlier response). Should have waited till today because the data took some time to get loaded to solman dashboards.

    2. The secondary (secondary because I cant confirm whether its the issue or not) issue: The timezone was different. When I looked at Ashutosh's post and my managed system's STAD logs I found no data! So with the help of STZAC, i adjusted it making it same with the OS.

    Thanks, Issue now stands resolved!


    2.png (84.6 kB)
    2.png (7.8 kB)
    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Posted on Jan 08, 2014 at 01:26 PM

    I had a very similar issue on SP08 and was some what resolved when I updated the mdx executable for the kernel; at this point Bex started working in a hit or miss style, due to a SP upgrade of some sort required me to run SPDD/SPAU and reset some snote object allowed for the graphing to work 100% of the time after that.

    What kernel level are you currently running?

    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • So looks like patch lvl 500 includes the mdx patch so it should be included, your screenshot though with the HTTP 404 makes me curious to know if you have all your pointers to client 100 correct?

      I left my client as 001 in Solution Manager, as it seems like a ton of extra work if you don't have to setup Solution Manager to support multiple companies/customers. Perhaps at this point you should kick off a RCA trace on the ABAP and Java stacks of SolMan and let it run for an hour to try and track down what is triggering the URL.

  • Posted on Jan 08, 2014 at 12:27 PM

    Hi Abhishek,

    You need to check the metrics in wilyintoscope.

    It might be not getting the information from the SMD Agent (checked the SMDAgent logs push jobs)

    Also check the Time zone of the ABAP system with the solman system

    With Regards

    Ashutosh Chaturvedi

    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • author's profile photo Former Member
    Former Member
    Posted on Jan 09, 2014 at 10:55 PM

    I had the exact same issue with SP7, and did create a SAP message to address this problem. They asked me to apply the latest LM-SERVICE patch, but even then some data was missing in RCA. What really fixed the problem was I reinstalled my diagnostic agents (there were a few which went offline like every minute), and made sure the users (managed system config) had the required authorizations, and reran the introscope host adapter config in config automatically step. (I had no idea that this step was really important for ABAP systems, I was just ignoring it until then. )

    I also checked the logs for my diagnostic agents, to make sure that everything was fine with the agents.

    Regards,

    Sneha.


    Add a comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

Before answering

You should only submit an answer when you are proposing a solution to the poster's problem. If you want the poster to clarify the question or provide more information, please leave a comment instead, requesting additional details. When answering, please include specifics, such as step-by-step instructions, context for the solution, and links to useful resources. Also, please make sure that you answer complies with our Rules of Engagement.
You must be Logged in to submit an answer.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MB each and 10.5 MB total.